CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Michael O Johnson

Profile:
Programming

Hello fellow CrossFitters. I was wondering if there is someone on this site that does programming? I have some goals that I want to accomplish and was wondering about stating a program that could get me there.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Programming

What are your goals? Chances are there's an established, tried and tested program that already fits them. No point in messing around and trying to invent something super-fancy when there's plenty of good stuff out there.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
Michael O Johnson

Profile:

My goals are to be able to do muscle-ups, rope climb technique and flexibility. Right now I can't accomplish a muscle-up and thrusters are killing my wrist and I just can't get the rope climb down. My feet are playing tricks on me when I go to lock the rope. lol
Old 09-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You don't need special programming for those things, you just need to do some skillwork and mobility work.

There are plenty of websites that teach gymnastics progressions for stuff like MUs, including a few dozen videos on the CFJ. Rope climb technique isn't hard, just do a Google search for how-to videos or find someone who is (or was) in the military and can teach you. For mobility check out mobilitywod.com and search the archives for the stuff that's giving you the most problems.

For MUs, the first thing to do is get really good at doing strict chest to bar pullups and false grip ring pullups and deep ring dips. Once you can do those things reasonably well, then you can worry about the transition skills.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael O Johnson View Post
My goals are to be able to do muscle-ups, rope climb technique and flexibility. Right now I can't accomplish a muscle-up and thrusters are killing my wrist and I just can't get the rope climb down. My feet are playing tricks on me when I go to lock the rope. lol
If you don't have a CrossFit journal subscription get one. Best $25 you could spend.

1) Google muscle up progressions. There are many out there. Look for one the focuses on building the strength to do 1 strict muscle up, no kipping. Watch KStarr's video on dips and ring dips to learn proper shoulder position. Don't wreck a shoulder in a hurry to get a muscle up.

2) Rope climb is all about the feet. There have been some good CFJ videos on it. Watch the videos and practice it won't take long if you can do strict pull ups.

3) moblitywod.com

If you are still doing CrossFit by yourself it is time to try to find some fellow CrossFitters in your area. Most of this stuff is easier to work through in groups.