CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Michael O Johnson

Profile:
Starting New.

Hello Everyone.
I'm new to CrossFit. I have completed 2 WOD and they really kicked my butt. I need to lose around 25 more pounds to complete my journey and to start a life journey with CrossFit. Well this is a little Bio about myself. I was an very active college athlete that got lazy. I was in great shape and looking to get back to those days. In Dec 2010 I knew there was a tie for change because I hit the 310lb mark. So right now I'm at 245. I wanted to know if Crossfit would be a great lifestyle and help he with my journey?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Scott Walters

Profile:
Re: Starting New.

From my perspective, the "lifestyle" and the community of crossfit are two of it's greatest assets. For me, having great friends, who are on the same journey, who are as committed as you (or more so) who are inspirational and who help keep you accountable are gold. I know I would not be achieving what I am without them.

Just my two cents worth
Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael O Johnson View Post
Hello Everyone.
I'm new to CrossFit. I have completed 2 WOD and they really kicked my butt. I need to lose around 25 more pounds to complete my journey and to start a life journey with CrossFit. Well this is a little Bio about myself. I was an very active college athlete that got lazy. I was in great shape and looking to get back to those days. In Dec 2010 I knew there was a tie for change because I hit the 310lb mark. So right now I'm at 245. I wanted to know if Crossfit would be a great lifestyle and help he with my journey?
Yep, particularly if you combine it with improved nutrition and be sure to ease into things. Build your volume, frequency, and intensity gradually. You didn't get overweight in a month, so you're not going to fix it in a month. Be patient, take rest days when you need them, and make sure you're learning good form on all the movements from the beginning.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Welcome!

Yep, your in the right place.

First piece of advice. Learn about BrandX scaling of the workouts. BrandX is an affiliate who's coaches post scaled versions of the CrossFit.com WOD on the internet daily. Good place to start.

It is in the CrossFit WOD section.

People get this wrong all the time. It is better to do 3 days on 1 off workout pattern scalded then go too hard end up having to take extra days off. You will build up capacity faster.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
Dustin Standel

Profile:

Crossfit will help you reach your goals - and to maintain them once you get there.

A few recommendations - join an affiliate to get the benefit of the coaching, the community, and the equipment at the ready as well as to avoid getting booted from your gym for dropping weights or grunting etc.

Technique and proper form on all exercises before adding in intensity. This is very important to your longterm health and ability to continue in your goals.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 07-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Chris Stroud

Profile:

Definitely in the right place. I second Dustin, join an affiliate. Its like learning to golf. You can spend 6 months trying to learn your self and probably still have a horrible swing or you can hire a pro and learn quickly and get started right.