CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-13-2006, 12:49 AM   #11
Daniel Neumann

Profile:
Well, thank you all for your tips! Three weeks... thats good to know - should be doable.
I will try to have some kind of a breakfast - an egg and some fruit.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:44 AM   #12
Ramon Nakhla

Profile:
Have 1 cheat meal a week, to satisfy your cravings.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:35 AM   #13
Justin Algera

Profile:
I feel your pain...Im the same exact way. For me what works best, is just not having any of it around me, and once I get into the swing of things or a schedule, I do well. Problem is when my schedule gets really out of whack, thats what usually leads to me "falling off the wagon".
Old 06-13-2006, 09:46 AM   #14
Gordon Richmond

Profile:
I have the sugar problem, too. What has worked for me is drinking a lot of green tea during the day, and always keeping some almonds, some sort of fruit or vegetable, and some lean protein (jerky?) nearby. If you have this nearby and you get hungry, eat! You may not necessarily be within Zone parameters (I know I'm not), but it is many times preferable to chocolate chip muffins or whatever other food leaves you paralyzed and drooling.

Worst-case, if you don't have the food around and you're getting those urges, try to keep drinking water. This may sound a little weird, but when the cravings start to get intense, I remind myself that this is my body's natural reaction after a pro-longed exposure to an un-natural substance. For me, if I can sort of step out of body, or whatever you want to say, it can make it a lot less intense.

Regardless of how, it will all get better if you just stick with it. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #15
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Now that I don't eat sugar very often, I get headaches and sleepy when I do. So I try to remind myself of how bad it makes me feel when I do eat sugar. Beyond that, just keep eating good food and it'll die out. And have a touch of bad food once or twice a week to keep your sanity during the transition.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #16
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Don't skimp on fat! Eat ample amounts of fat and your carb cravings will subside. Also, for a treat eat dates and figs. Generally I like to wait before I treat myself to carbs as late in the day as I can, that way my body resoponds to them more and I don't end up eating as much. If I start my day with carbs I will crave carbs the rest of the day. If I start my day with protein/fat the cravings never really kick in substantially.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #17
Chris Jodlowski

Profile:
I don't know what else to add other than the cliche "If I can do it, you can." There's 1/2 a left over pint of hagen daaz in my freezer right now that's just sitting there getting very, very lonely. A year ago, I would have been like a crack ho on a dealer for that stuff. Now, it really doesn't interest me. If it did, at this point, I know I could grab a spoon, have 1 or 2 bites for a "fix" and put it away vs. demolish the whole thing. Time, I guess. You could try weening yourself off little by little, but I did zone "cold turkey" for 2 months or so with very little cheating. Now I've lost 16 lbs total, and when I see something like a slice of cake, I typically find myself thinking "it would really, really suck to lose ground over *that*" Sometimes, just to be social, I'll have a bite or two, but find I can put down the fork and walk away like never before.

Try making a gallon of home-brewed iced tea. I happen to like the peach flavor - I put all 20 bags in a gallon of boiling water and let it sit, then into the fridge. For a while, that was my crutch and I'd drink the gallon over the course of the day, maybe because the peach flavor reminded me of something sweet. Now and then I put a shot of lime juice in a glass of water for flavor that probably has the same effect. Most often, though, I think I was eating because I was bored. So if your problem is at night, either do something that doesn't lend itself to eating, like working on the house . . there's no room for cookies up on the roof :-). . or just go to bed and get a good nights sleep for a change.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #18
Rick Williams

Profile:  
I have the sugar weakness as well. I can do really good for months, and hit a binge if I'm not careful.

One of the things that seems to work for me is a protein shake at night with some frozen fruit. This takes the ice cream craving away and keeps me somewhat sane as far as sugar is concerned.