CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
Zach Krogdahl

Profile:
Handstand Progressions

I cannot do a handstand. Does anyone know of any progressions or tips to help me develop this skill? Thanks alot
Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Handstand Progressions

wfs
http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/19

Also, check out other articles from here too wfs
http://www.drillsandskills.com/articles/
Old 04-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Also check out gymnasticbodies.com, coach sommer has some reallly good info there.

Steven, while speaking of handstand progression, any tips on working the forward roll out of a handstand if you don't have a spotter around to help you? Were I to have a spotter, I could do the progression from the "exercises" section off the main page, which is kicking up into your spotter and rolling out.

I was thinking I could walk up the wall into a handstand, stomach facing the wall, tuck my chin, and hope for the best, though I didn't know if there was a better way.

Would you recommend being able to kick up into a handstand without hitting the wall before trying it without the wall?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
I was thinking I could walk up the wall into a handstand, stomach facing the wall, tuck my chin, and hope for the best, though I didn't know if there was a better way.
This is good. Except you don't hope for the best. Control your way down to a headstand and roll from there. Eventually you will be able to gain control where you don't have to go directly to headstand and can transition directly into a roll.

Quote:
Would you recommend being able to kick up into a handstand without hitting the wall before trying it without the wall?
I would recommend learning handstands with stomach facing the wall and learning how to balance it by just using a toe to push off. Once you can hit a solid 10-15s or so take it away from the wall. Good form is a MUST.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Thank you for the response Steven; as usual, great information.

It would behoove me to be able to do some HSPUs I suppose, or at least be able to exhibit solid control over the negative before attempting to come down on my head.

I suppose, similarly, that I could just practice forward rolls out of regular headstands as well, though the process seems awkward to me, thinking about it. How does one transition to a tucked chin when their head is firmly on the floor?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
Grace Patenaude

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
wfs
http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/19

Also, check out other articles from here too wfs
http://www.drillsandskills.com/articles/
Thanks for the links Steven!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
Thank you for the response Steven; as usual, great information.

It would behoove me to be able to do some HSPUs I suppose, or at least be able to exhibit solid control over the negative before attempting to come down on my head.

I suppose, similarly, that I could just practice forward rolls out of regular headstands as well, though the process seems awkward to me, thinking about it. How does one transition to a tucked chin when their head is firmly on the floor?
You have to push down harder with your hands to create a bit of lift to lighten the load on your head. -_- Or you can just roll out of it without doing that. It is possible although you might feel a bit of discomfort when your hair is scraping your head against the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Patenaude View Post
Thanks for the links Steven!
You're welcome. I have posted such links at least 10 times before though, and I'm sure Roger has too since he made them... if everyone always searched before asking questions.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

drillsandskills is a great reference for CrossFitters. Use it, love it. Roger Harrell, the man behind the website, is a poster here and is running the CF gymnastics certs.

Regarding handstands and forward rolls - I'm a big guy, a non-gymnast at 6'4" and 215, and I've put a lot of my CF time towards developing the handstand. HSPUs against the wall have helped, as has attempting to hold the position with the wall as a spotter. But for me, the best exercise toward a handstand has been presses to shoulder stand on the parallettes. I'm at a stable shoulder stand and I'm almost able to press past the sticking point all the way to handstand. It's made my handstand hollower and taller, and most importantly it's given me the confidence to do freestanding handstands into forward rolls. That's when the forward roll really starts to feel comfortable. It's been said before and it'll be true for you too, the handstand is the fundamental gymnastics position and you cannot get enough practice. Good luck.

EDIT: http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/16

Last edited by Andrew H. Meador; 04-09-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Old 04-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:

For learning to roll out you need to work up to it. Start with developing a good solid forward roll. Then you can start putting more and more load on your hands before the load. Push it up a bit higher each time and eventually you're rolling out of a handstand. It is a gradient between a forward roll and a handstand forward roll, they are not two distinct skills.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Roger, thank you very much; your site and coach Sommer's are both incredible resources.

I hope I'm not being too thick headed, but I like to be cautious, especially when not doing so might involve me crashing onto my head.

To develop the roll out of a handstand, I should be able to forward roll very well, and then progress into supporting more and more of my bodyweight with my hands and "holding" the position before tucking and rolling over.

This may be a silly question, but where would one look when kicking up into a handstand?

Thanks again for your participation and help, it is much appreciated.