CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Zach Krogdahl

Profile:
Starting Strength and Crossfit

I have been looking around alot on the discussion board and noticed alot of talk about the Rippetoe SS program. I looked into it and it seems simple enough and seems like it would work but my only concern is that I dont want to stop Crossfit because, like most of you, I am a complete addict. Does anyone know if the two should be kept seperate or if they can be done at the same time?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Alex Blum

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength and Crossfit

search for MEBB (Max Effort Black Box)
Old 04-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Charlie A Nilsson

Profile:

Combining the two is called MEBB, max effort black box.
there are a few different ways to do that.

I have just started a MEBB, im decided to do SS-CF-SS-rest-SS-CF-CF-rest.
im aware of that my strength gain won't be as high as it would be with just SS but i can live with that.

the typical template for a MEBB is usual something like: SS-CF-SS-rest-SS-CF-rest
but there is alot of variations, but search MEBB or blackbox on the forum.
28/5.6/~150# DL: 419# BS: 330# Press: 155# "Mary" 16+2 "Angie" 15:29 "Murph" 34:15 "Fran" 3:42
Old 04-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
J

Profile:

This has been covered a bazillion times. Search.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
J

Profile:

Max effort black box has nothing to do with Starting Strength, by the way.

Starting Strength does not promote max effort workouts. It's a linear progression beginner's program.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Ok Julius:
Technically CF + SS = Black Box

Your black box is whatever you desire it to be, it's just that a black box so throw in whatever you want. MEBB is a specific program designed to mix max effort with CF, but you could derive your own program with SS and CF with the same template. Research it and you will get the Idea.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

No, technically SS is NOT MEBB. SS is the program as designed by Coach Rip, using the lifts suggested and the progressions suggested. So, anyways, if you're going to do SS "altered" then simply put, it's not SS.

MEBB weight lifting routines can also be effective if you're looking for mass and strength gain that wouldn't be as quickly attainable by CrossFit, provided that you're eating to gain and all of that.

If you plan on doing SS, then do it as prescribed, eating right, eating enough, and getting enough rest. "SS" - CF - "SS" - CF - CF - Rest Rest is not SS; it's a MEBB program.

Also be careful of over training if you're doing max lifts AND CrossFit. The best program I can advise from personal experience is CF-MEBB-CF-REST, repeat.

Other than that, there are plenty of other threads about MEBB "templates" and what and what not to do, so a search would probably yield better answers in that respect.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

"CF" has wrongly become code for metabolic conditioning. If you're desperate to play the CF game but want a faster strength boost, just substitute days like 10k and filthy fifty with some major lifts or rings/parallettes work. It's really straightforward and there is no perfect program because our goals are all different.

Also, if you're doing that much volume and not overtraining it's because you're not going hard enough during the workout. Hard lesson to learn.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Joey Powell

Profile:

Just to add in, MEBB is a program developed by Coach Rut from CrossFit Kansas City, that was published in The Performance Menu #3.

Basically it adds in more ME work across the Squat/Deadlift/Press variants throughout the 3 on, 1 off CrossFit pattern.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. Meador View Post
Also, if you're doing that much volume and not overtraining it's because you're not going hard enough during the workout.
Someone suggested this a long time ago, and, unfortunately, it's become part of the CF myth. It sounds good in theory, but it's completely untrue. A number of people train like this.

Last edited by Gant Grimes; 04-06-2008 at 10:02 PM..