CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Has anyone used the website www.nutritiondata.com (work safe) to find out the carb, fat, protein, calorie, nutrient, etc, content of foods you eat on a regular basis?

I've been using it off and on for a while because I try to avoid anything that came in a box, bag, can, or wrapper. Or basically try to eat things that can either be 1) shot while walking through a forest, 2) picked off a tree, 3) yanked out of the ground, or 4) dragged from the sea. Unfortunately, there isn't a handy white "nutritional information" box printed on the butt of every chicken or fish that makes its way to my plate, so that site has come in handy a lot of times.

I hope it's of use to people on the zone diet, as you can calculate your needs pretty well with it.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
David Wallach

Profile:
ND is a great resource! Not only for the needs calculators, but nutridata in general.

Fitday.com is also a great resource for calculating an accurate food journal and works even better as a planning tool.

A project near and dear to my heart, ahem, is Itrainharder.com, which incorporates a number of great tools for both caloric/macronutrient planning as well as a brilliant tool for exercise perscription. (If you join up over at Itrainharder, tell them Chef sent ya...)

Old 03-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
David Plakos

Profile:
love that site. the breakdowns are more extensive than most, and the variety of foods is significant.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
Chris Barclay

Profile:
not sure about the daily needs calculator though:
reckons I need 65% Carb with 35% each of Protein and Fat and that I should be consuming around 3800 Kcal! I hate to think what I'd look like if I had that.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Question Re: Good tool for calculating precise amounts of protein, carbs, & fats in foods

I took a quick look at Nutridata (w/f/s). What's the best way to use the site, enter your meals & see how they rate or is there a planning tool where you can plug in the zone ratio's & it gives meal suggestions
Old 02-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Jeff Evans

Profile:
Re: Good tool for calculating precise amounts of protein, carbs, & fats in foods

Fun fact: the data behind NutritionData.com is actually from the (w/fs) USDA Nutrient Database; they simply provide a nice pretty searchable interface with charts, etc. I also suspect that the oft-mentioned fitday.com uses the same data. It is freely available from the site I linked in a few different formats including MS Excel, Access, and plaintext. Incidentally out of personal interest I cleaned it up and dumped it into a MySQL database - if anyone happens to be interested in this you can contact me offline.

The raw data might be useful if you ever want to build your own application to search it, or just have it on your local computer when traveling or otherwise without internet access.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Re: Good tool for calculating precise amounts of protein, carbs, & fats in foods

Jeff:
What I'm interested in is a meal planner of sorts. I have the menu from CFJ 21 on the fridge to follow but would like something that would verify other meals I make.
If the tool/app you mentioned fits the bill. I'm interested
Old 03-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Chris A Jarvis

Profile:

Hi,

This post may be relevant to some of you:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...620#post266620

Chris