CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
Thomas Beasley

Profile:
over the past weeks i have been cutting dairy out of my diet. so far i have had little trouble removing the majority of dairy products. cottage cheese seems to be the last step. half a cup of cottage cheese has been my bedtime snack for the past three years. now i am having trouble getting over it. maybe i am strange, but i like the texture of it. i have found a couple ideas that involve tofu, variations of spankapita.

but i thought to ask what others who may be following the paleo diet or just dont do dairy what they sub, if anything for cottage cheese.

i know i could do eggs and fruit, or some kind of fish and vegetable combo. but at bedtime i really don't want to go through the hastle and honestly i have had my fill of eggs, fruit, fish, and vegetables in my other four meals. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. but i might just have to go cold turkey on this one.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Thomas, you are in the same position I was in 5 days ago... and although it's been 5 days since i've had ANY dairy, i MISS MY COTTAGE CHEESE! it was my bedtime snack for 5+ years :/

What i've done so far is this; buy some boars head low sodium turkey breasts and have it with a small salad or fruit. I'll be honest, it doesn't compare with the cold, creamy, dessert-like feeling you get with cottage cheese BUT I did it's not bad. I did try the turkey two days ago with avocado and MAN was it good! i've also done some soy yogurts (very yummy! but i still feel hungry after)... Suggestions from others woul be appreciated here too. :-)

(Message edited by frankm007 on June 03, 2006)
Old 06-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
Thomas Beasley

Profile:
and i need to make a correction. the spankapita had a tofu substitue for cottage cheese.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:16 AM   #4
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Okay, what's a sub for a cappacino? Solve that for me and I'm next to no dairy overnight. :-)
Old 06-05-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Curtis Black

Profile:
I don't know of any good substitutes for cottage cheese but how about some kind of blended shake for your pre-bedtime snake? Something like banana, berry, apple juice and ice. It should give you that "cold, creamy, dessert-like feeling" that Frank mentioned.