CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #81
Clifton Mack

Profile:
Re: 14.3 tips and strageties. Jump or step?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
I can't sacrafice form for points that aren't going to get me anywhere.
Truth.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #82
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Konieczny View Post
Whom else Back is till sore/hurting them from this workout?

I wore a belt, got 1 rep into the 315, 131 reps and had decent form ...and I can't even think about working out today.

A lot of foam rolling and heating pad.

Frustrated...this is what I was afraid of, being 36 years old...this stuff isnt getting easier
I understand the frustration. I'm 3 months from 40 and watch my son kill everything and run in the house 20 minutes later to play a video game. One thing I have noticed (I'm sure you know it as well) is to just really pay attention to what you do prior to - warm-up, and after a workout - cooldown. I'm not dialed in nutritionally which is another major factor of recovery, etc but I just don't feel the old(er) age coming on. I feel like I am in my 20s. Since I train on my own and with clients throughout the day, I hit easily 4-6 mini workouts per day (an 8min AMRAP is 1 workout, a session to find Max Front Squat is another, etc.), 5-6 days per week and I feel good. Not great and I'm always a bit sore but I feel really good overall. I would have it no other way.

I cannot afford to do the things I did when I was 20 (although I never did Crossfit obviously.) Now I must pay attention to how I move. I pay attention to where my body is at all times, even when on the clock. I know (perhaps that is what comes with age and wisdom in weightlifting) when my body is in a bad position. Check the ego at the door always and if need to back off and/or rest for 10 more seconds do so. Do it because of what you know you feel physically - not mentally. Push through the mental part.

Granted I didn't hit tons of reps but I know I half-a$$ed the workout. As I am not competing in the open I have no desire to do it again but I should have easily finished the round of 275 DLs at minimum. I gave the workout too much respect and backed off too early. Even with hitting 100+ reps, within about 1 hour I was fresh enough in the back to do another workout if I chose to.

I did it on Friday and as of late Saturday I felt 100%. So great today that I just hit a longtime goal PR of 315 Front Squat about 40mins ago. Again, I am a few months from 40yrs old - so I get the "we can't do it like we used to thing." Was it the lesser volume compared to the guys hitting 315 for 10-12? Sure, obviously. I just know that when I Deadlift like that - heavy and reps - I ensure my back is solid. I know that any form stuff that becomes an issue will compound itself into the next workout, the next day, etc. That is age. We don't bounce back like we used to.

Also, as said - warm-up well and address mob/recovery immediately after. Don't let the old bones, joints, aches and pains come up on you 3hrs later. That is when we start to feel the "old" and tell ourselves that we cannot do more. Screw all that. Hit 12 sessions a week if you want! You can do more than you think.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #83
John Drohan

Profile:

I met my goal - avoided injury. My max DL is 405, and last Wednesday I did 375 prior to knowing what 14.3 was going to be.

Still, I lift slowly. I'll be 46 next month and I'd like to still be doing this into my 50's. My lower back was on fire during the 225's and I only got 6 reps at 275. I was one of the lowest scores at my box and that's OK by me. I actually got a massage a few hours after the WOD and that did wonders for my recovery.

Mentally, it's a little tough. They say "check your ego at the door" but the bottom line is that we all have one and it's always in play.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #84
Larry Larned

Profile:

Glad to hear no one got hurt! And I agree with the others about the warm up / cool down can really help with the soreness.
I retried today and got 130. My goal was one pull at the 315, but time wouldn't allow for that. I felt like the step up / drop down really helped (111 on first attempt) with the speed of my box jumps and the stress on my hips. That step down from the 24" box is very uncomfortable for me for some reason.
Great job, everyone. Keep on keepin on.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #85
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Finally got to do this one during lunch today after being laid up with a stomach bug all weekend. Lost eight pounds over the weekend thanks to that crap but got a 114. I was really hoping I could get back to the box because it was my strength that was giving out instead of my motor, which is pretty rare for me. I'm sure I'll be hurting tomorrow though.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #86
Eric Lubert

Profile:

Gave it a try today. Went too slow in the beginning to conserve myself for the heavier sets and just ran out of time. Ended up with 126 reps and broke my sets up like this.. 135x10, 185x8/7, 225x7/7/6, 275x5/5/5/5/5. Planned on 3's for 315 but too slow. I don't DL very fast either so that didn't help. I'm very picky with technique and I pause at full lock out which don't help in a workout like this. Overall, I'm satisfied. My back stayed straight and within a few minutes after I felt fine and did a few other things.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #87
Snir Golan

Profile:

Just watched Sidell's 14.3 performance and all i can say is good job to all the people that choose safety over numbers. Something tells me that we will be seeing alot of these videos used in the future whenever someone wants to take a jab at CF.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #88
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
Just watched Sidell's 14.3 performance and all i can say is good job to all the people that choose safety over numbers. Something tells me that we will be seeing alot of these videos used in the future whenever someone wants to take a jab at CF.
That was pretty painful to watch. I hope the people doing these workouts like this are looking at their videos and realizing how unsafe their form is.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #89
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
That was pretty painful to watch. I hope the people doing these workouts like this are looking at their videos and realizing how unsafe their form is.
She looked pretty good I thought up until the last weight increase she finished on.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #90
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
She looked pretty good I thought up until the last weight increase she finished on.
she was pretty good all the way till the set before last.