CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #131
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Re: Renegade Diet

Thought this article was pretty interesting. Seemed to pretty much describe the Renegade Diet and prove a lot of the science behind it.

http://eattoperform.com/2013/03/16/h...n-are-friends/ (WFS)
Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #132
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

this thread has been kind of quiet lately...just wondering if y'all are still following and what the results have been like. I have been tinkering around with the concepts from LeanGains for the last couple of days trying to find my groove. I am also looking forward to trying out BP coffee. the last hour of the fast has been the toughest for me. those of you drinking BP coffee, what recipe(s) are you using? Asprey's stuff is not cheap...
Old 09-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #133
Michael Dries

Profile:

Still loosely following it.

I did the Nate Miyaki diet I mentioned above but >300g of carbs seems to soften me up even with holding my calories the same.

At the same time I noticed that dropping my carbs low (as the Renegade diet suggests) to drop body fat doesn't seem to work for me. I really have to ratchet my calories down to drop body fat.

My basic diet has looked like the Renegade diet but I've loosened things up a bit.

Typical day includes eating a light lunch or just a BF type coffee. Then I eat a big *** dinner.

My lifts are all going up, slowly, but that's the point of 5/3/1, and I'm down to about 12% BF now.

I'm shooting for 10% before October, at that point I'm going to attempt a "lean bulk" roughly following Lean gains/Renegade style.

In all I like the flexibility of skipping breakfast and eating a light lunch and a big dinner.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #134
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I follow the concepts, but I'm not really fasting anymore. I basically stay carb free until I workout. If I workout in the morning, I'll have protein and carbs. Then stay carb free until dinner. If I workout in the afternoon, I'll stay carb free all day until post workout and dinner.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #135
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Still following it strictly 5+ days a week. Weight has stayed the same, lift numbers are slowly climbing as always and body fat still appears to be dropping. My upper abs are actually visible which is more than enough motivation for me to continue it for quite a while.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #136
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

I ditched it, kinda.

I only have carbs with my PWO meal and only about 50g of them, white rice and thats it for the day. There will be some carbs from cheese, cream, milk, etc... but nothing big. Why, because I wanna be in ketosis for most of the day.

As for BP coffee, I use 8g of beans with 250ml water then add 80g of butter, 20g of coconut oil and 10g of MCT. Does the job nicely with 800kcal.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #137
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

thanks, I was just curious if this was a diet people were following for a month or two, or if this was something people were following long term. I like the concept / theory. like everything else, I imagine it needs to be tweaked to fit individual needs & goals.

without tracking calories / macros, I am currently following IF with paleo concepts (with the exception of white rice, chocolate almond milk, & a few ALN supplements). I'm really just trying to eat more than I used to (in the form of good food). I believe I followed paleo too long without adequate carb intake to support 5 - 6 days a week of metcons, and my training / results suffered drastically. sure I had abs and cardio for days, but I lost strength and size. I am now focusing more on strength, shooting for 3 days on (2 days 5/3/1, followed by 1 day metcon), 1 day off.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #138
Tim Hampton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
Still following it strictly 5+ days a week. Weight has stayed the same, lift numbers are slowly climbing as always and body fat still appears to be dropping. My upper abs are actually visible which is more than enough motivation for me to continue it for quite a while.
Almost identical results for me. After about 6 weeks, weight is about the same (maybe +1 or 2lbs), but I have leaned out noticeably & energy/lifts are improved.

More than being sold on the fasting part, I have found bringing most of my calories in at once allows me to keep a very close eye on macros. I also like the extra time in the morning, not having to prepare any food!

I am pleased with the results, and I feel like I have established enough of a baseline to start playing with the numbers a bit, which is cool (and a first for me).

Overall, I can't say whether the fasting works or if fasting is streamlining my analysis/discipline of intake (or both for that matter), but for my lifestyle it's still a good fit.

Last edited by Tim Hampton : 09-13-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #139
Todd Taylor

Profile:

I'm a little confused about the BP coffee. Since it does have fat from the butter and MCT wouldn't that break your fast? Isn't the fast the primary component of this style of eating?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #140
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Butter only have 1g of protein per 100g, the rest is fat and MCT is pure fat, so basicly all yer having is 99.5% fat, so the autophagy pathways are not suppose to be broken.

Thou some people reported that BP breaks their fast, maybe its got to do with the quality of the ingredients...