CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
I started on the Zone in December or so, at 21 blocks & 3X fat. (I mistakenly multiplied the whole fat content, though - 3 grams per block, not 1.5) In January, I switched to Paleo food choices and leaned out more. (I was very heavy on the dairy before - now we see that dairy products have a very high insulin index score... hmmm). At the Feb Cert. seminar, I was suggested to do 17 blocks. I dropped to 17 blocks and no extra fat for two weeks, becoming very lean, as I didn't have much to loose. I have slowly added fat back in, up to X5 - then added one block per day to slowly gain a bit of muscle.

Over the two months that I added the fat, I continued to loose fat/bodyweight - and I am still loosing weight at X5 and an added block. My strength has improved quite a bit during this time, but I do have some feelings of lethargy that I didn't have prior to the calorie restriction.

I do have a pretty active day outside of my training - my job has me on my feet all day-sorting mail, pushing carts, dumping sacks etc. I also live in the country and have numerous chores requiring manual labor. For the rare bit of leisure time, I ride my bike or go on a hike.

For the last several years, I have had a maintanence caloric intake of around 3400 cal/day. My present 18 block X5 Zone has me at 2610 cal/day.

So, I'm not sure if I should I continue with 18 blocks and just up the fat even more, or should I start adding more total blocks?

Thanks for any input!
Scott Hagnas
Crossfit Portland
Old 05-04-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Hi Scott-

How are you zoning? Weighing and measuring? Are your carbs high enough (ie;equal to protein blocks)?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:21 AM   #3
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
Hi Nichole-
Yes, I'm pretty anal about my eating. I have weighed and measured my food for so long, it's second nature. Carbs and protein blocks are always equal, as well. I also only take one "free meal" per week, usually a Saturday night restaraunt outing - but even then, I try to stay pretty close to zone ratios.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Try adding one block to total daily blocks, wait a week, see if the lethargy improves. You may need to continue in this manner until you feel ok and stabilize weight. Also don't neglect to look at sleeping and stress as possible contributors to tiredness.

Hope this helps.
Please keep me posted.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
Thanks, Nichole.

I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.

It's not all bad, though. I got my first full front lever today, and also my first full range (hands to shoulders) HSPU.:happy: Being lighter helps the gymnastics!

Scott Hagnas
Crossfit Portland
Old 05-05-2005, 07:01 PM   #6
Pat Janes

Profile:

Wow! Congrats Scott..! Lever and full ROM HSPU is a huge achievement.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #7
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
Hi Pat-
Thanks. The front lever took nearly a year and a half of constant work. Now if the planche would just come around...

Scott Hagnas
Crossfit Portland