CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Charles Hwang

Profile:
ice+zataran's(creole seasoning) = burn?

Hey guys,

Today I went to ice my lower leg so I put ice in a ziploc bag along with zataran's creole seasoning since I didn't have any salt. Put it on my leg, wrapped some voodoo floss around it (basically flat rubber rope) and then 20 minutes later when I took it off, I noticed some kind of burn-like looking rash thingy that stung.

It's a long shot.. but anyone know what happened to cause this? Was it the capsaicin in the zataran's mixing with water and ... causing some kind of weirdness?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: ice+zataran's(creole seasoning) = burn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hwang View Post
Hey guys,

Today I went to ice my lower leg so I put ice in a ziploc bag along with zataran's creole seasoning since I didn't have any salt. Put it on my leg, wrapped some voodoo floss around it (basically flat rubber rope) and then 20 minutes later when I took it off, I noticed some kind of burn-like looking rash thingy that stung.

It's a long shot.. but anyone know what happened to cause this? Was it the capsaicin in the zataran's mixing with water and ... causing some kind of weirdness?
This sounds like that Billy Crystal SNL skit, "I hate when that happens"

Looked up the ingredients there is Cayenne pepper, chili powder, and black pepper in there. Here is remedy as long as leg is still attached to your body.

External Use Tips
When beginning to use ointments and creams containing capsaicin, it is best to begin by testing on a small area of skin. Be sure to use only on unbroken skin. After rubbing it on, if the heat proves to be too much, the cream or ointment can be removed using dish detergent or baby shampoo. Wiping down with rubbing alcohol after washing will ensure that all the capsaicin has been removed. Mucous membranes are particularly sensitive, so be careful to avoid touching your eyes or nose after handling cayenne powder or capsaicin cream.

Read more: Side Effects of Cayenne Pepper Treatment | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5444074_si...#ixzz2HRe1ORc8