CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Dylan Serbin

Profile:
Keto vs Paleo

From what I understand Paleo seems to be the most popular way of eating when it comes to crossfit. But ive been reading a bit about Keto and im wondering if its legit and how it compares to crossfit. And also, how it would compare to training and weightloss.

Here is a link SFW incase you want to do a quick read up on it. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...EHc/edit?pli=1
Old 10-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Lucas Bauer

Profile:
Re: Keto vs Paleo

I've been at it for only about a week so I'm not "fat adapted" yet. The first 2-3 days were tough. I kept my training intensity high but cut the volume in half which helped. I had a strength session this morning and felt stronger than usual (taking 3-4 days off was probably the key) but either way my strength gains are continuing to increase so I'm happy. I put about 90% of my carbs post-workout on training days which is usually a banana or hashbrown. I'll stick it out for as long as I'm feeling results or unless my strength declines but so far so good.

How often do you workout? I'de recommend ~3 workouts a week to begin with (if you're used to more) due to the lack of carbohydrates. If you WOD, it could take a day or two (maybe 3) to replenish glycogen and to refel your muscles enough to be ready for maximum intenity again.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:

A paleo diet is about eating a whole, unprocessed food based diet. No grains, no dairy, no legumes. Meat, veggies, fruits, some nuts and seeds and tubers if you require the carbohydrate intake. Carb intake on a paleo diet should be a direct reflection or your activity level.

A Ketogenic diet is any diet (regardless of food quality or processing) that shifts your body into a state where it produces ketone bodies for fueling the majority of your body tissues. Everything, except for the brain and CNS can run effectively on ketone bodies. During a state of ketosis the liver will use protein to produce glucose to run the brain and CNS. As the document you linked above said, you need to be VERY skinny on carbohydrate to kick into ketosis.

You can be ketogenic while eating paleo foods. This is actually preferred because your staple paleo foods (veggies and meat, certain nuts) should be very high in micronutrients to ensure you're getting proper nutrition while cutting out higher density carbohydrate sources.

Your results may vary, but in general if you are looking for great performance in any glycogen dependent endeavor (such as crossfit), ketosis will not get you there. You may feel find for a little while but eventually you'll hit a wall because producing ATP from ketone bodies is far slower and more complex than from glycogen, you'll "bonk" during longer workouts.

On the other hand, if you modify your training to suit your ketogenic state, you can achieve very effective fat loss. Body builders do this all the time in the weeks leading up to a competition, but they aren't setting PRs in the gym.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Serbin View Post
From what I understand Paleo seems to be the most popular way of eating when it comes to crossfit. But ive been reading a bit about Keto and im wondering if its legit and how it compares to crossfit. And also, how it would compare to training and weightloss.

Here is a link SFW incase you want to do a quick read up on it. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...EHc/edit?pli=1
They're both fad diets, however adopting a Paleo Diet without needlessly restricting carbohydrates is the least idiotic of the two options where athletic performance is concerned. As for weight loss, there is no evidence that the macronutrient content of ones diet has a significant effect on the rate of weight/fat loss on a hypocaloric diet.

“Fat adaptation” for athletic performance: the nail in the coffin?

Comparison of Weight-Loss Diets with Different Compositions of Fat, Protein, and Carbohydrates.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 10-18-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Steve Liberati

Profile:

I drastically cut back on my carbs on rest days (usually rest twice a week) but wouldn't dare take them away on training days.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
A paleo diet is about eating a whole, unprocessed food based diet. No grains, no dairy, no legumes. Meat, veggies, fruits, some nuts and seeds and tubers if you require the carbohydrate intake. Carb intake on a paleo diet should be a direct reflection or your activity level.

A Ketogenic diet is any diet (regardless of food quality or processing) that shifts your body into a state where it produces ketone bodies for fueling the majority of your body tissues. Everything, except for the brain and CNS can run effectively on ketone bodies. During a state of ketosis the liver will use protein to produce glucose to run the brain and CNS. As the document you linked above said, you need to be VERY skinny on carbohydrate to kick into ketosis.

You can be ketogenic while eating paleo foods. This is actually preferred because your staple paleo foods (veggies and meat, certain nuts) should be very high in micronutrients to ensure you're getting proper nutrition while cutting out higher density carbohydrate sources.

Your results may vary, but in general if you are looking for great performance in any glycogen dependent endeavor (such as crossfit), ketosis will not get you there. You may feel find for a little while but eventually you'll hit a wall because producing ATP from ketone bodies is far slower and more complex than from glycogen, you'll "bonk" during longer workouts.

On the other hand, if you modify your training to suit your ketogenic state, you can achieve very effective fat loss. Body builders do this all the time in the weeks leading up to a competition, but they aren't setting PRs in the gym.
Good explanation.
And it's funny you mention glycogen dependent endeavors and list Crossfit. Because the increase of IMT levels with Paleo is one of the biggest benefits, but mainstream Crossfit has really seemed to tailor mostly high power/strength oriented workouts (which I have absolutely no problem with). But it's funny that one of the biggest benefits of paleo no longer applies to probably 95% of the crossfit workouts you'll run into.