CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-23-2003, 09:28 AM   #1
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

I seem that authors of diet books are constantly favoring eating small frequent meals as opposed to a meal timing plan where the majority of your calories come in a certain period of time (ala the warrior diet). My question is does anyone know of any health realted conditions associated with eating once a day (or a period of time once a day)? Assuming that one consumes enough calories in this period, and eats health concious foods. I know large meals cause major insulin spikes, but isn't this after a peroid of fasting, which is supposed to heighten your insulin sensitivity? I've tried my own modified version of the warrior diet, and I did seem to lose a little muscle, but just wondering if any knows of any health problems eating in this fashion could cause?

J.D.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
For me personally this simply would not work. I can not physically eat enough calories in one sitting to keep me functional for a 24 hour period. I would pass out. I eat at least 6 times/day.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:43 AM   #3
Matt Goers

Profile:

When your body is deprived of ample nutrition throughout the day your metabolism lowers, then your body proceeds to break down muscle for energy.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:50 AM   #4
Roy

Profile:

J.D., I tried the warrior diet for a little while. I was only on it for not even two weeks, and didnt notice much difference. FedEx package handling was my "Workout", and I pulled four hour shifts of constant super fast pace heavy labor on an empty stomach. This may have been a very catabolic state. Hofmekler claims that the warrior diet unleashes our bodies instinct. From what I understand, our bodies want to be fat, naturally.

As far as health goes, Ori suggested taking vitamins throughout the day and drinking fresh squeezed vegetable juice, and some protein, if needed. I havent heard of any health risks about this diet. I'd wait for more replies if I were you. Also, try google.

Cheers

Roy
Old 12-23-2003, 10:21 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Like Roy, I tried it, for about a week.

Sorry, I enjoy eating too much to forgo the pleasure. And, if I ate my full day's calories at one sitting (at night, according to the Warrior plan), I'd be nauseous much of the night.

Seriously, from everything I've seen, if you have to eat one large meal a day, make it breakfast. Old grandmother's saying: "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper."

But each cat his own rat . . .
Old 12-23-2003, 11:54 AM   #6
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

I'd like to point out that I'm definitely no trying to sway people into practicing the warrior diet, as I myself, do not practice this but use more of a paleo/nhe diet. While I was on the warrior diet I was able to consume 2000-2500 calories in the four hour overeating phase (it does not have to be one sitting).

As for metabolism lowering, I'm not an expert on nutrtion, but do consdier myself well read on the subject. It is my understanding that human metabolism doesn't change, it is the effect of insulin ad glucagon on the body, that makes people perceive the notion of fast and slow metabolism. Certain people are more adapted (different levels of insulin resistance and insulin sensitivity) to using and getting rid of insulin. This in turn causes weight gain, hormonal fluctations ect. This information can be found in NHE, Ultimate diet secrets(large section on this), Swarchenbein Principle 2 as well as other books. It is also to my undertsanding that fasting heightens your insulin sensitivity which improves your bodies ability to utilize insulin. Thus preparing the body for the large meal, and consequently large insulin spike. But the catabloic thing is correct, as I expeirenced this, but I also realize this occurs in any diet which calories aren't maintenance level are above energy expenditure. I think catabolism occurs only when the body doesn't have any other form of food. Which means your glycogen stores would have to be used up. Muscle is a relatively expensive food (Rob Faign goes into detail on this in NHE) I will try google, thanks Roy. Just hoping that someone heard of some study that perhaps stressed consequences of periodic overeating. I appreciate everyone's responses. And wish all of you and your families a very enjoyable holiday season.

J.D.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:14 PM   #7
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

The primary reason I asked my first question (are there any links to overeating and health conditions) is I remember reading somewhere that overeating was linked to heart disease , but after searching on google, it seems that only weight gain as a result of overeating is responsible for this. Just curious what is everyone's views on the Warrior diet?
Old 12-24-2003, 12:02 AM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
JD-

Look up, both on this site and the internet, the topic Intermitent Fasting.

You are on to some good thigns here...let us know what you find.
Robb
Old 12-24-2003, 06:58 AM   #9
Roy

Profile:

Robb, I tried a search on how often you should do a 24 hour fast, but came up with nothing. Is it something like once a month? Im guessing you could do it a variety of different ways. Such as the whole day before carb up on NHE, or on a rest day. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Roy

Old 12-24-2003, 08:45 AM   #10
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

Rob,

Did some looking around, it appears that the evidence for intermittent fasting is quite strong. I have both of Holflemker's books, and will read them this weekend (long road trip to California). Have a very Merry Christmas everyone.