CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Eric Decker

Profile:
Crossfit amateur seeking plan advice!

Hey folks, newcomer here. Before I ask my question, I want to give you a bit of my background so you know where I’m coming from. When I first started college in 2008, I was overweight and had no strength to speak of whatsoever. Since then, I’ve dropped about fifty pounds and am in considerably better shape. Most of this, however, came from running. I started Crossfit about five months ago, when a friend of mine/roommate who is a personal trainer introduced me to it. Now I’ve graduated and we’ve gone our separate ways, and I want to continue to improve.

When we first started Crossfit, my roommate would simply give me a WOD to do, and I would do it. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it (and I still don't know if there was.) That said, the information I've gathered seems to suggest that this is good for building initial strength, but if you really want to see results you should find a plan and stick to it. So that is what I hope to do; I've come here to ask advice on what plan I should follow.

Now I've also read that the plan really is dependent upon what your goals are. My goal is to burn some fat (I'm currently walking around at about 173...I typically fluctuate between 170-175, and I'm about 5'7; I believe my BMI is 27ish?) as well as continue to add muscle. To give you an example of my strength, for heavy lift days I typically will bench 135 and squat the same (I'm still learning to squat with a squat rack, so I'm hoping that weight will improve as I become more comfortable.)

So to make a long story short, here are my goals:
- Burn some fat (I'm adjusting my diet while I do this, so that should help)
- Continue to add muscle (Heavy bench = 135, heavy squat = 135, I can knock out maybe 3-5 strict pull ups, but only for maybe 3 sets)
- Improve my overall fitness

Ideally I would like to see myself able to do the WODs listed on the main page without having to make adjustments (like I currently do), but I think that is still a ways off, so smaller goals would simply be to continue to add muscle and lose weight.

There is a slight caveat I should mention: the gym I am currently at does not have easy access to a track. I thought about going with CFFB, but in order to do some of their sprint workouts I would have to get in my car and drive 10-20 minutes to the local high school track and hope that it wasn't being used. Additionally, the gym has no medicine balls and I'm using dumbbells for kb swings.

Whew, okay, I realize that was a lot of information very quickly, and I'm sorry. If there's any additional info I can provide, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks so much for any help you can provide. I wanna do this right and continue to see improvement, so please let me know how I can help you help me!

Last edited by Eric Decker : 06-06-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Crossfit amateur seeking plan advice!

based on your strength you definetly need to follow a program designed to bring up your strength. don't even worry about burning fat right now. worry about improving strength and conditioning. if you do the fat will probably take care of itself. CFFB, GSLP, 5/3/1 are all good options. as for needing a track, why in the world would you need a track to run? the majority of people that do running in their workouts don't have a track. you can run sprints in the parking lot, on the sidewalk, etc, and you can run longer runs on the road or around the block. some people even use a treadmill for runs of 400 or longer. if you are supposed to run 30 yards, just take 30 steps. if you need to mark these spots you can buy 4 stackable cones for under 5 dollars. i won't matter at all if you run 28 yards or 32 yards in terms of the intention of the workout. in all seriousness, based on your current bench and squat numbers, you seriously should just work on getting stronger.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Eric Decker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
based on your strength you definetly need to follow a program designed to bring up your strength. don't even worry about burning fat right now. worry about improving strength and conditioning. if you do the fat will probably take care of itself. CFFB, GSLP, 5/3/1 are all good options. as for needing a track, why in the world would you need a track to run? the majority of people that do running in their workouts don't have a track. you can run sprints in the parking lot, on the sidewalk, etc, and you can run longer runs on the road or around the block. some people even use a treadmill for runs of 400 or longer. if you are supposed to run 30 yards, just take 30 steps. if you need to mark these spots you can buy 4 stackable cones for under 5 dollars. i won't matter at all if you run 28 yards or 32 yards in terms of the intention of the workout. in all seriousness, based on your current bench and squat numbers, you seriously should just work on getting stronger.
Thanks a bunch for the response. I'll try to go find some more info on one of the training programs you mentioned to bring myself more up to speed. As far as the running is concerned, I figured I wouldn't need a track for longer runs; the only real issue is that my gym is located in a big plaza surrounded by other
stores, which makes it a bit tougher to just head out the front door and start sprinting I will definitely try to make better use of the treadmill, however. There's just something so dreadfully boring about it.

From what you're saying, however, it sounds like I have a lot of work to do before I can seriously consider myself in Crossfit condition. Thanks again for the advice, I'll definitely put time into building muscle for now. I really started with so very little, so I guess it's time to play some serious catch-up.

Edit: I also want to clarify that on my heavy days I'm doing that 135 for 5 sets of 5...not just maxing on that haha.

Last edited by Eric Decker : 06-08-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You said you "typically" bench and squat 135lbs....any reason that number hasn't been increasing every time you get under the bar?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Decker View Post
Thanks a bunch for the response. I'll try to go find some more info on one of the training programs you mentioned to bring myself more up to speed. As far as the running is concerned, I figured I wouldn't need a track for longer runs; the only real issue is that my gym is located in a big plaza surrounded by other
stores, which makes it a bit tougher to just head out the front door and start sprinting I will definitely try to make better use of the treadmill, however. There's just something so dreadfully boring about it.

From what you're saying, however, it sounds like I have a lot of work to do before I can seriously consider myself in Crossfit condition. Thanks again for the advice, I'll definitely put time into building muscle for now. I really started with so very little, so I guess it's time to play some serious catch-up.

Edit: I also want to clarify that on my heavy days I'm doing that 135 for 5 sets of 5...not just maxing on that haha.
as weak as you are you don't need to worry too much about the running anyway. you should be getting stronger. CFFB, or even better, GSLP. if you have been doing 135 for 5x5 for longer than a week that is just more proof you need to get on a good program and follow it because you should have added weight by now. your statement about a lot of work to do is correct. the only you should be doing with 135 is called warming up.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
Eric Decker

Profile:

I'm realizing now that my roommate's philosophy of doing randomized workouts really didn't benefit me at all. I didn't have any sort of linear progression, and as such have not seen very "rapid" muscle growth. Sure I've gotten a little stronger than I was (sad as that may be), but I think I need something more regularized. Before I begin taking on Crossfit again I think I'm going to run out and pick up either 5/3/1 or GSLP today. As I said previously, I have a ton of work to do. Thanks for the advice folks.

Last edited by Eric Decker : 06-09-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Ross Barrett

Profile:

Sorry to jump in here but what is gslp? I'm now starting to follow cffb, just tried the sledgehammer swings today which I had to slightly modify as I ha no tire or rubber to bash but was one hell of a work out!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Daniel John Mason

Profile:

think its called grey skull linear progression. another type of strength training with progressive gains. im doin wendler 5-3-1 and find the volume just right with assistance work. and easy to follow
Old 06-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Ross Barrett

Profile:

what is meant by the assistance work when completing wendlers 5-3-1 programme?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Daniel John Mason

Profile:

private message sent to ross barrett