CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Bret Goldstein

Profile:
Pull up but not Chin Up Pain

Basically I've done a zillion pull ups over the years. I began to do weighted pull ups about ten years ago and regularly made them part of my workouts. About two months ago I developed pain in the elbow and forearm when doing pull ups. This pain comes from the interior (palms up) of the elbow and runs into the forearm musculature on the right side of the arm. Strangely, this has not effected my ability to do chin ups at all. I can do them without pain. The pain only comes with pull ups. I have been massaging the heck out of my forearm trying to get blood into the area and have avoided chin ups - basically the typical home treatment. I can now do pull ups but with a slight amount of pain which causes me to back off.

The issues are first, what exactly did I do to myself - clearly I messed with something pretty specific. Second, how can i prevent the issue from rearing it's head in the future. I love weighted pull ups. It kills me not to do them.
I should note that with the weight I avoided full extension at the bottom of the movement to avoid an elbow injury. I was ripping out sets of 8-10 with a 45lb plate on a dip belt. Sometimes i went up to 70 lbs - which I fear is what the root cause of the problem was.

I did a bunch of searches - but didn't quite find anything like this.

Regards.

Last edited by Bret Goldstein : 05-07-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Pull up but not Chin Up Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Goldstein View Post
Basically I've done a zillion pull ups over the years. I began to do weighted pull ups about ten years ago and regularly made them part of my workouts. About two months ago I developed pain in the elbow and forearm when doing pull ups. This pain comes from the interior (palms up) of the elbow and runs into the forearm musculature on the right side of the arm. Strangely, this has not effected my ability to do chin ups at all. I can do them without pain. The pain only comes with pull ups. I have been massaging the heck out of my forearm trying to get blood into the area and have avoided chin ups - basically the typical home treatment. I can now do pull ups but with a slight amount of pain which causes me to back off.

The issues are first, what exactly did I do to myself - clearly I messed with something pretty specific. Second, how can i prevent the issue from rearing it's head in the future. I love weighted pull ups. It kills me not to do them.
I should note that with the weight I avoided full extension at the bottom of the movement to avoid an elbow injury. I was ripping out sets of 8-10 with a 45lb plate on a dip belt. Sometimes i went up to 70 lbs - which I fear is what the root cause of the problem was.

I did a bunch of searches - but didn't quite find anything like this.

Regards.
most likely a tendonitis of the flexors of the forearm or medial epicondylitis. Need to stretch your forearms, go to www.orthopedicsne.com check out medial epicondylitis or golfer's elbow. See someone if not better in week or two
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

I would guess likely pronator teres, but all of the forearm flexors go to one common tendon so it could be a bunch of them.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Bret Goldstein

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
most likely a tendonitis of the flexors of the forearm or medial epicondylitis. Need to stretch your forearms, go to www.orthopedicsne.com check out medial epicondylitis or golfer's elbow. See someone if not better in week or two
What kind of stretches to you suggest I do? I could not find the information on the website.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Goldstein View Post
What kind of stretches to you suggest I do? I could not find the information on the website.
http://www.massgeneral.org/ortho/ser...bilitation.pdf