CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #111
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

Did bench last night, 170x3 190x3 215x3

Decided to experiment with assistance tonight. I supersetted fat bar press at 90 lbs for 5x10 with fat bar 1 arm barbell rows at 45 lbs. I got through pretty much the first 3 sets of each nonstop, but I had to take a couple minutes break before finishing.

I liked the way it felt, I was finished working out in about 45 minutes. I'm going to do this from now on, supersetting assistance.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #112
Mike Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kissam View Post
To be honest, in my experience I would say you just need to set runs up and make sure they get done. Sometimes I don't have any motivation to do a long run because I am so beat from that week of strength training. How far are you looking to go? If you want to get a marathon or longer under your belt then a long run each weekend (90 minutes or more I'd say) is advisable in my opinion. I have yet to run more than 2-3 days a week in the year I've been doing this and I've done 4 50k's and a 50m to date. Funny enough, I ran 3 times all last summer over 5 miles and came in second place in a 6 hour race at the beginning of August. (Came in with 29.2 miles, 6 minutes short of 32)I wouldn't advise that obviously but I do notice that strength training seems to improve my running. Also, oddly enough I've had some of my best squatting sessions in 2011 24-36 hours after a 2-4 hour run. After my first ever ultra I pulled a 3 rep DL PR 36 hours after it was over. Once you get used to it your body seems to adjust to going long and being good enough to lift soon after.

I'd look at my blog for last year leading up to my 50m and see the runs I did for a solid outline. It was in mid march.
Thanks I'll look through your blog. The plan is to hopefully get in a good season of races starting in late September, most of them are 50ks and there is a hundred and a 24/48/72 hour one in there as well. I'm not sure I'll get up that high and I might stick wth the 100k goal and push off the 100m till next season.

Yeah I usually put off my long runs to later in the week but maybe I should change that and do them after a rest day.

Collin short is 4-5 miles, unless I am doing sprints then I keep it around 3 miles total.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #113
Ben Kissam

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks I'll look through your blog. The plan is to hopefully get in a good season of races starting in late September, most of them are 50ks and there is a hundred and a 24/48/72 hour one in there as well. I'm not sure I'll get up that high and I might stick wth the 100k goal and push off the 100m till next season.

Yeah I usually put off my long runs to later in the week but maybe I should change that and do them after a rest day.

Collin short is 4-5 miles, unless I am doing sprints then I keep it around 3 miles total.
On the contrary I'd recommend that you do your long runs after strength training. I have never done a long run in training without having squatted within the previous 2 days. This really seems to benefit me come race time because often I notice the first 2 hours of the race go by effortlessly because I am usually so spent doing runs like this that when I'm fresh it feels like nothing.

Keep in touch man, I love talking to others who are training like I am. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me on my blog or on here, but I'll be more likely to answer quickly on my blog. Good luck with your goals.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #114
Dana Rice

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
Did bench last night, 170x3 190x3 215x3

Decided to experiment with assistance tonight. I supersetted fat bar press at 90 lbs for 5x10 with fat bar 1 arm barbell rows at 45 lbs. I got through pretty much the first 3 sets of each nonstop, but I had to take a couple minutes break before finishing.

I liked the way it felt, I was finished working out in about 45 minutes. I'm going to do this from now on, supersetting assistance.
I've thought about doing this in the past. Maybe I will. My only hesitation is generally - it means moving less weight, but you get an anaerobic component, which would be cool. Are you doing this to introduce a conditioning aspect to your program? Or is it just to save time?

Keep us updated how it goes.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #115
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
I've thought about doing this in the past. Maybe I will. My only hesitation is generally - it means moving less weight, but you get an anaerobic component, which would be cool. Are you doing this to introduce a conditioning aspect to your program? Or is it just to save time?

Keep us updated how it goes.
Thanks, I'll report back after a couple weeks. I'm doing it mostly for conditioning, although saving time is also a +. Just gotta think of enough push/pull exercises that I can do in my limited home gym. (I can only do like 4-4-3 pullups, or I'd do those alternating with bench. Doing GTG with those right now)

Gonna probably alternate my 50% fatbar deadlifts with sets of 15 abmat situps tonight.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #116
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Did 4x3 375 today instead of normal 5/3/1

we had heavy Squats before WOD @ Gym.

Wanted to do 395 but the guys at the box were all working in together (4 guys 1 bar) and everyone was doing a different weight. Turned around at end when i was going to do 1 more set and found out they had put up weight after I came back from spotting someone else @ their bar...

Thought about getting in some more @ home but not happening today.

Accessory work was carrying my 45lb and 75lb boys on my back for random distance... sometimes I think that is harder than weight lifting...
Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #117
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Squat Second week (3 rep)

360x3

Assistance:
5x10 Fat bar deadlift @ 210 supersetted with 5x10 abmat situps.

This was tough. Did as many as I could double overhand, then switched to mixed.

Got all 10 double overhand on first set, 7 on second, then 5, 5, 5, before switching to mixed.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #118
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Got 6 on deadlifts the other day (3+), 2x10 with ~55%, then front squats 2 heavy sets then 3x with pause at bottom supersetted with weighted box jump then a 10-1 circuit of clapping push-ups, plyometric lunge, 4-ct flutterkick. Went ahead and did high volume since I had to take the weekend off because I went home to see the girlfriend.

Hopefully going to make it tonight to do 3+ Presses then will pick up with 1+ squats tomorrow and have to push the 1+ week into the deload slightly. Oh well, I only really need 3-4 days off to feel totally refreshed anyhow.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #119
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Shoulder Press workout today.

Week 3 Press
115x5
130x3
145x5

Forgot I was going to modify the weight and drop it, but when I got to gym only had old week 3 info on me. Did alright with old weight, so perhaps that was my problem for week 2 in that I did week 3's a week early. Makes me want to fix it back to the old one...

So for the first 3 weeks I did
Week 1 - 130x6
Week 2 - 140x5
Week 3 - 145x5

I guess thats not a bad improvement after all. Will see how the formula plays out for 2 weeks from now.

Only other issue will be with Crossfit open coming. I'll scale down workouts or have to double up to not interfere with the Open WOD's. Paid my 20$ and i'm going to give it all she's got captain!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #120
David Hare

Profile:

I tried this with Power Cleans and might stick to a more standard 5x3 for that lift. It seemed on the last set, as I tried for max reps the form really starts to get iffy as the reps go on, and the grip is shaky. I think Rippetoe recommends 3 rep sets for that very reason.