CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
Daniel Sont

Profile:
Water consumption + Coffee

so they say stuff like coffee makes you actually lose more water than you gain...

myth?

Is just drinking when I'm thirsty good enough?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Water consumption + Coffee

I seem to recall that coffee doesn't really net yiu much gain or loss either way. I would hesitate to say it actually hydrates you though.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

I was just reading about this. If you are resting (read not exercising) then there may be a case for caffeine and diuresis (excess urination). Multiple studies regarding caffeine and exercising have not shown caffeine consumption even at a pretty high dose to cause any body fluid related issues (dehydration, temperature control issues etc.).
Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Andy Kauth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Sont View Post
so they say stuff like coffee makes you actually lose more water than you gain...

myth?

Don't know about your 1st question though I would agree that coffee is not useful for hydration purposes ... My opinion is the same of CF Endurance: athletes should be drinking 1/2 their body weight in oz. of water daily + 16-20 oz. of water per hour of exercise (depending on temp.) ... you can minus coffee, protein shake, etc. from the total. I noticed a huge difference in my performance when I started drinking that much water. Had to use the restroom very often when I first started drinking that much, but my body seemed to adapt after a month or so ...
Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Daniel Sont

Profile:

Ok thank you guys.

Now what about water poisoning... anybody know about that?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Andy Kauth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I was just reading about this. If you are resting (read not exercising) then there may be a case for caffeine and diuresis (excess urination). Multiple studies regarding caffeine and exercising have not shown caffeine consumption even at a pretty high dose to cause any body fluid related issues (dehydration, temperature control issues etc.).
Just read through the section on caffeine and hydration; thanks for that link, Chris. Study suggests more research in this area, though subjects reported dark urine. I can't imagine further study would be useful in any event. Imagine how you would just feel post-workout if you drank soda or coffee vs. water, whether the water had caffeine chemically added or not ... Very interesting read so far.

Also, as per CF Endurance, drinking more than 1/2 your body weight in oz. of water daily = not good as you will flush needed vitamins, minerals, etc. out of your body. Unfamiliar with "water poisoning" other than urban myths about people drowning themselves after feeling the need to drink water after taking ecstasy ...
Old 11-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Ok thank you guys.

Now what about water poisoning... anybody know about that?
You may be thinking of hyponatremia, also known as water intoxication. That's a condition that marathoners (and others) can get if they drink too much water without replenishing their electrolytes. The body's electrolyte levels can get dangerously low. It's rare, but also life-threatening, so not something to take lightly.

Katherine
Old 11-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Dave Traeger

Profile:

is water paleo?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
Zach Reed

Profile:

Quote:

myth?

I recall from a paleo podcast a while back where Robb said that drinking a caffeinated beverage basically results in a net zero balance. Basically when consumed in a liquid form e.g. coffee, the water content balances out any loss that may be caused by the caffeine.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You may be thinking of hyponatremia, also known as water intoxication. That's a condition that marathoners (and others) can get if they drink too much water without replenishing their electrolytes. The body's electrolyte levels can get dangerously low. It's rare, but also life-threatening, so not something to take lightly.

Katherine
Actually, hyponatremia is not known as water intoxication, but rather a lower than nml serum sodium level... which can be caused by taking in too much free water... thats why sports re-hydration drinks put electrolytes into them. Prior to CF and going paleo I would try to sip on some gataorade etc, at some point in the day, due to the amt of h2o I was drinking, however stearing away from this has luckilly been fine for me.
As long as your taking in appropriate amt of minerals and lytes through your diet even if you drink a lot of water you shouldn't run into this.
Now if you are a long distance athlete ie marathoner etc, through sweating you will lose a lot of water and lytes, therefore special care should be taken to replenish both with water and a sports drink to get some lytes back in to you. Lytes = electrolytes ie potassium, sodium, magnesium.