CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Hi Everyone. Yesterday I subbed barbell good mornings for the back extensions in the WOD. I did 5 X 25 w/ no weight. First time doing the exercise and my hamstrings are shredded. I'm ok w/ soreness (as long as it's not a muscle pull or anything).

My question is whether I should be sore in my hammy's. Is it more of back exercise? If so, I will need to work on form.

Funny thing is I was so concerned after doing Linda on Friday (still not used to saying that) that I hurt my lower back doing deadlifts. I was sore saturday and fine by Sunday.. This soreness caught me totally off guard.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
The good morning exercise I am not very familiar with but I have heard of the good morning stretch. Tsatsouline described it as being much like the good morning exercise. It stretches the hamstrings.

Since stretching fires the stretch reflexes, perhaps it was just that 125 activations of the hamstrings' stretch reflex tired out the muscles.

Edit: I just read a description of the exercise and the description listed hamstrings as the main components and erector spinae as stabilizers.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

even a highly fit person needs no more than just the bar on a good morning. you can hurt yourself. take the advice of Bruce Lee on that one. he advocated only the bar in teh good morning, AFTER he hurt himself trying to do 110%+ bodyweight in the exercise...
Old 07-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
Jack Gayton

Profile:
well if the hamstrings were the primary target of that exercise, mission accomplished.

feeling a little better this evening. i tried to stay mobile all day and stretch as much as i could.

thanks for the feedback. i have no intention of ever adding weight to that exercise.

jg
Old 07-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Yes, hamstrings are active in good mornings. They not only bend the knee but extend the hip along with the glutes.

You can safely add weight to good mornings just reduce volume. We seldom go over 10-12 reps with good mornings. And seated good mornings are another option. I've done 40k for sets of 8 with seated GMs.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I subbed KB Romanian DLs for the BE in that one. My hams are also shredded. The movement is very similar, just with the weight in the hands, not on the back.

RDL and GM definately nail the hamstrings. There was a good discussion a while back on GM and RDL. Some good points on form. A search should find it easily.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
Kellee Rassau

Profile:
I did Good Mornings with a 20 lb. bar the other day and my hamstrings have been a little sore as well. I thought it was just the sprint work that did it, but the same thing happened to me.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Yeah, they feel better today, but still sore. I'm pretty happy w/ myself for jumping right into the WOD today. Sure, I was sore, but after the first 800M run, I didn't really think about the soreness. In the past, I know I would have not worked out, or made excuses about rest and recovery.

The whole mindset here is great. It makes you realize you can do a lot more than you think..
Old 07-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #9
Kellee Rassau

Profile:
"The whole mindset here is great. It makes you realize you can do a lot more than you think.."

So very true. It shows character and dsicipline when a person consistently does what needs to be done whether they like it or not.