CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Evan Peikon

Profile:
programming metcons help

quick info: doing strength progression on all power/oly lifts (specific progression irrelevant), i also hit met cons with my strength workout every training day, so here are my questions

1) if I'm doing a metcon involving a barbell (preferred) should i use the days strength lift in the met con?
ie) if i deadlifted today should i save my dead lift metcon (ex, amrap 10 pushups/ 10 deadlift 6 min) for today or use it another day for recovery reasons.

2) besides the compound lift in my met cons how many other movements should i include?

3)how do i decide whether to do an ''AMRAP'', ''X rounds of Y'', or ''x-y-z reps for time'' met con and what rep scheme/ length they should be on a given day

thanks for the help
Old 10-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: programming met cons help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
(specific progression irrelevant)
Actually I think it is very relevant. No one can answer your question very well if we don't know your lifting schedual.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Evan Peikon

Profile:
Re: programming metcons help

I'm working up to 3 and 5 rep maxes on my lifts on a given day.
here was my last two weeks of strength work

week 1
mon: back squat (3x5)
tue: dead lift (3x3)
wed: press (3x5)
fri: front squat (3x5)
sat: snatch (3x2)

week 2
mon: press (5x3)
tue: back squat (5x3)
wed: dead lift (3x5)
fri: over head squat (3x5)
sat: clean and jerk (3x2)

and i do met cons each day with these. my recovery abilities are great and I've pr'ed every time I've touched the bar thus far.
my question was in a general sense though, being that when I'm done making linear progressions (whenever that happens) I'm planning on doing a 5/3/1 type program with met con
Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Using the CF mindset, the short answer is "constantly varied." The concept is hitting different angles, energy pathways, strength components in multiple combinations to reach a general sense of fitness.

In regards to your 1st question, most of the time I wouldnt' want the strength lift in the metcon, but I wouldn't try to plan around it all the time especially since you are hitting a lift virtually everyday. Having the overlap once in a while won't be bad and might jump start things once ina while. If you try to avoid the overlap of lifts all the time you'll wind up chasing your tail--meaning I can't do a metcon with deads today since I'm deadlifting, so I'll do the press, but now I can't press for two days since I'm pressing tomorrow...

Keep in mind that different physiological aspects are focused in a strength workout vs. a metcon. So if you are properly loading in a metcon, it might not be horribly affected by the previous strength workout.

In regards to question 2, "constantly varied" also applied. typically the simpler the metcon the better it is. So focus most of your metcons on couplets or triplets. But doing a chipper once in a while isn't bad and don't avoid the monostructural workout once in a while.

In regards to all of you questions, you should look to various affiliates, the main page and look through the forum for various trends, schedules and WOD's. Only through experience will you know what a good WOD is and isn't. Sometimes the best ones on paper are garbage or need to be tweeked once or twice.

I'll also say it is a little unconventional to back squat and deadlift back to back. I think this could be a road to disaster. I think my deadlift workout would suffer if done the day after squats.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I would read this article by Glen Pendlay. He suggest a program that should match what you want and how to determine the amount of weight. It is 4 days a week. This gives you 1 day for a long met-con and I would do no more then 3 short met-cons as well.

Day 1 Heavy lifting
Day 2 Oly + short met-con
Day 3 Long met-con
Day 4 Rest
Day 5 Heavy lifting
Day 6 Heavy Oly (Dead lifts every other week) + short met-con
Day 7 Rest

If you can do more work then this then you might not be lifting heavy enough.

5 days straight is not a good pattern for max gains. I haven't seen anyone who's 5th day working out can match the quality of day 1 or 2. You may grind through the workout but that days lift will suffer compared to what you do early in the week.

As for the actual met-cons I would suggest staying away from the barbell work. Body weight, wall balls, jump rope, interval running, interval rowing and so on. Save the barbells for the heavy work or in the long met-con with a rest day following.

You will need to eat huge amounts of high quality food and sleep 8-9 hours a night to achieve maximum gains.

If you do all this I expect you will get some very serious gains.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Brendan, what are your thoughs on the catalyst 4 block cycle #4 program. It involves heavy squating and oly work then oly skill work/ metcon on other days.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Hows your technique?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Evan Peikon

Profile:

technique is good. over the summer i was drilling tech at least an hour a day + the beginner oly program i was doing 5 days a week.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Were you being coached? I would NEVER suggest an Olympic template to someone who does not have pretty good form. That doesn't mean, true Olympians, but better than 95% of crossfitters.

That being said, yes, it's a serious program and one that will make some good gains. Catalyst Athletics is a great gym and I would put my trust in Greg and Aimee any day of the week when it comes to programming. Perhaps you should email Greg and talk about where you are at, and where he thinks this programming will take you. There was a falling out between CA and CFHQ which is why they aren't talked about much here.

As Brendan mentioned, Pendlay is another guy I would let do my programming any day of the week but he doesn't post his stuff as clearly, but he is VERY open to talk on his forums, which is very geared towards olympic lifts. There are some good programs on there as well.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
Brendan, what are your thoughts on the catalyst 4 block cycle #4 program. It involves heavy squatting and Oly work then Oly skill work/ met-con on other days.
I'm not familiar with it. I have never been interested in a pure Oly program for myself. I'm a CrossFitter at heart just trying to figure out how to get stronger. Seems to be working. Tested my front squat for the first time sense I started this strength journey 5 or 6 months ago. Old 1 RM 175, yesterday 2 RM 235.