CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
Seth Hollen

Profile:
is it counter productive to build both reps and weight? I mean aren't I focusing on 2 different muscle fiber types?

Is it OK to low rep high weight 1 day then work on high numbers of re pthe net? or should I do a couple weeks of increasing the weight with low reps then a couple weeks of higher reps?

I want to increase my pushup numbers, That is the point of my asking?

I was also wondering if too many squat and leg exercises might be counter productive in increasing my running distances.

take care,
Seth
Old 06-02-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
Skylar Cook

Profile:
You're going to want to work both. Pushups most resemble relatively low weight, high-rep work; however, you don't want to only do those - You'll get benefits from low-rep, heavy weight exercises (I'm assuming you're talking about benching?) as well. But pushups will benefit pushups the most, if that's your main goal.

And no, unless you're on steroids or are putting on a lot of weight, squats and leg work should be beneficial; as long as you continue running (don't stop and just do weight work).

(Message edited by surfreak on June 02, 2007)
Old 06-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
Michael Tong

Profile:
I agree with Skylar - you probably want to do both. Also, add in plyo push-ups. It adds a totally new dimension.

As an example, I've been GTGing pull-ups. I've hit 30 DHPUs now, and I will start adding weight. However, just about a week ago, I started mixing in plyo pull-ups. Even though I've been GTGing for months, I was quite sore a day after the plyo pull-ups, which I attributed it to recruiting slightly different muscle fibers.

For push-ups, you could start doing one-armed style or add a weight vest.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
Seth Hollen

Profile:
what are plyo-pullups?

I'm up to 7 DHPU and was thinking of adding 10lbs when I am can do 10 DHPU. Too soon??

My Main question is when to do high reps vs. high weight. Would it be counter productive to spend a week doing BP (for example) with max 5 reps, really going for building muscle and on the same days doing pushups to failure.

should I separate those types of workouts? or is it OK to mix it up like that?
Is this just some old bodybuilding myth I'm thinking of?

A few years ago I had good results doing 2 week cycles. 2 weeks of high weights, low reps, and lots of calories. then the next 2 weeks I drooped the calories and up my cardio to cut fat. I had good results but I really don't want to spend as much time as I did then "strategizing"

thanks!
Old 06-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:
+ weight = strength
+ reps = endurance

If you want both do both. If you want one or the other that's where you want to go. The only caveat is that increasing max strength will increase *potential* max endurance BUT not vice versa. You still have to put in the work to hit the higher maximum endurance though.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Michael Tong

Profile:
Seth - you haven't mentioned what you are trying to accomplish. Share that if you need more specific questions answered.

Plyo push-ups: explosive push-ups where your hands come off the floor. You've probably seen clapping push-ups, right? Same idea. Push up with enough explosiveness to come off the floor. Clapping is optional, as it is more for show and more for standardizing the effort of your push-up (i.e. the effort of each rep is at least explosive enough to give you time to clap once).

In general though, you might be over-thinking this. I think you are at a rep range in your pull-ups where if you just continue to add reps, it will increase your strength. I don't know what your magic number will be, but if you get to a rep range of, say, 50, then you might not be adding much strength, just endurance.

I decided to hit 30 PUs first before adding weight because that just felt like a good goal, plus I wanted to be able to do the PU-intensive WODs faster. I still want to get a higher PR on unweighted pull-ups (shooting for 40 next) but I want to experiment with weighted pull-ups now to see how that helps (if at all) my max reps.

Basically, I guess I am saying there is no need to over-think it.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:
Adding reps doesn't increase strength; it will always increase endurance. They are at the opposite ends of the repetition spectrum. It will, however, increase CNS efficiency which will make you stronger at *that* particular exercise, but it will not increase muscular strength that much.

w/f safe
http://www.****************.com/files/sample200.pdf
Old 06-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #8
Seth Hollen

Profile:
Thanks everyone.
I noticed recently that my pushup numbers aren't increasing. I hit the wall around 20-30. I can rest a minute and do another set, and another, that part of my endurance has increased.

I'm just trying to decide what's the best way to approach my own workouts.