CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I deadlift ~100lbs more then I squat. I am also tall which predisposes me towards the DL. I have always been under the impression that you should be able to DL more than you can squat.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #12
Brad Davis

Profile:
Wow Anthony, you lost me there! In a powerlifting sense, that's certainly not true. A lot of PLers squat more than they DL. I guess it depends on how one judges an "adequate depth." I'm assuming that PL competition is adequate, but maybe you're not.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #13
Josh Brehm

Profile:
What's to say for us guys who are able to deadlift 350lbs yet can't squat more than 225?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:45 PM   #14
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
more squats. :-)
Old 04-15-2007, 04:09 AM   #15
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Brad, powerlifters also use squat suits & knee wraps that have more impact on squat numbers than deadlifts.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #16
Brad Davis

Profile:
You know, come to think of it, I'm sure you're right. When I competed, I always thought of myself as a squat guy, but without any equipment, I could DL a little more.

Now if I limited myself to conventional DL, my squat beat my DL by at least 50 lb regardless of equipment.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:46 AM   #17
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Body composition affect squat and deadlift numbers among other things. Guys with short legs and long torso can generally bench and squat a lot better than deadlift.
Tall long armed guys can deadlift better but struggle squatting and benching.

A great article on that can be found on T-nation.com - Overcoming Lousy Leverages by if memory is right Mike Robertson.

My own dead is 458 lbs over a 341 squat.

Leo
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #18
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I agree with a lot of what is written above.

I consider myself to be a gifted squatter and deadlifter. But a horrible pusher (bench, push press, etc.) in relation to my pulling strength. I have inordinately long arms for my height (5'10" but 76" from fingertip to fingertip). I also have short legs (30" inseam).

At my last powerlifting competition, over 15 years ago, I squatted and deadlifted in the low 600s. That was the last time those two lifts were even close. My guess as to why my deadlift progress has exceeded my squat progress is two fold - one, I gave up all supportive gear; two, I'm aging and I have no incentive to walk out with 10 plus 45lb plates on my back.

Three years ago, I squatted 505 for 12 with a belt and knee wraps. I've battled some groin pulls and other leg strains since then. Just yesterday I did 3 sets of 12 with 315 with less than 45 seconds in between sets. But I have sumo deadlifted 505 for 20+ repetitions (with belt and wrist straps).

To put it into perspective, my best competition bench (over 15 years ago) was 340. I haven't benched heavy in six or eight years. It's very counter productive for my sport. But I do ocassionally do rep max outs with 225. My PR, two months ago, was 29 reps. However, I don't think I could bench more than I could 15+ years ago. Moreover, I set a PR with the push press a few weeks ago. I did 225 for 8.

It's all relative to what we can do. I have a really good friend, tall (6'4"), long skinny arms, skinny build, but really thick chest. When we were in college, he lifted in the 220s and benched 500. At a contest two weeks ago, he finally benched 600 in a single ply bench shirt. Of the people you think could rep 405 for 10, No one would think he could do it. He didn't look like he could bench anything, but man......could he ever.

It's all about what we're made of thanks to mom and dad. Some have unbelievable gifts - like Brian Siders - and some simply do not for strength, but are adept in other fields. It's all relative. I'm just happy we're all doing it and all trying to progess. That's the awesome part about strength fitness.

All the best,
Arden