CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
Alex Nisetich

Profile:
Hey everyone, I just started Crossfit last week, and I'm really excited to get going. I can handle most parts of the workouts pretty well, except pullups. I have never really been good at them, and I can't even finish the amount required in the warm-up (3x10-15 if I'm not mistaken). Is there something I can do to get better at doing pullups, or am I just bad at them?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:06 AM   #2
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Hey Alex,

Pullups is ususally everyone's weak points. Couple things.

1. Grip strength is most important.
2. Core strength
3. Just doing more pullups

check out this article at mikes gym about pullups: http://www.mikesgym.org/articles/upl...nUpArticle.doc

to get better at pullups your gonna have to do them to failure at least 2x/week. when i started doing that my numbers went up.

kettlebells really helped my core strength for the pullups also since when your doing them your entire body is involved.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:23 AM   #3
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Farmer's walks help, negatives, ladders, jumping pullups, etc. You can get pretty creative with this one. Grease the groove....
Old 04-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Brian Dolan

Profile:
I can do Chin-ups (palms toward me) pretty well, but I suck at pullups, its a huge weakness for me, literally can't do 1 proper pull up right now...and I thought I was strong!

I've been doing them on the CYbex assist machine when called for, but I've also started the "Grease the groove" approach utilizing jumping pullups 10-15 at a time. Does that sound like a solid strategy to some of the more experienced folks around here?

Thanks...
Old 04-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
Connie Morreale

Profile:
the only way to get better at pull-ups is to do pull-ups.

for 10 years i had a goal of 10 pull-ups and was stuck at 5. if i ever got lucky enough to manage 6 i felt like super woman!
then i started to comb the crossfit boards and studied up on greasing the groove(gtg). 6 weeks later i am up to 8 pull-ups.
i go to failure only one day a week. after that i do 100 more pull-ups using various grips and jumping pull-ups. i also use the gravitron for the last 20 - 25. i do this as a workout, and along with any other things i'm working on it takes about 45 minutes.
most other days of the week i gtg doing sets of 5 all day long totaling anywhere from 25 - 60 pulls.
i ordered a doorway pull-up bar so i can work it at home too.

pull-ups used to be the enemy, but now i know i can conquer them! and i am not limiting myself to 10 anymore either!

good luck!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
Brian Dolan

Profile:
Cool deal, connie..I'm on shift today and whenever we were in the station and I thought about it I went and did 10-15 jumping pull-ups. I also do a lot of work on the Cybex thing at the gym...I figure with some strength gain, repitions and hopefully some weight loss, I'll get to where I want.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Roark Marsh

Profile:
I have to agree with what's been said in terms of just do more pullups. I disagree with doing them to failure, but that's probably more personal than heavily backed by research.

I'd suggest learning to kip, as soon as possible, and to do whatever you can practice-wise in the warmup. I cannot believe how quickly my numbers have gone up in just a few weeks of even regular warm ups. Crossfit is a bit pullup-centric, and it takes getting used to.

Good Luck Alex!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
ditto on learning how to kip. I went from doing or two sets of 6-8 to doing sets of 20 kipping. And, yesterday I hit 100 in 17 minutes, broken in sets to failure.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
Chris Siler

Profile:
Agree w/ the kip. Crossfit is all about power and kipping greatly increases power output on the pullup. I wouldn't fret over the numbers. Quality over quantity. Partition as needed put the warm up plus the WOD will make sure that you are doing lots of pullups.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
Jacob Levin

Profile:
Is there a an approved arm's width that goes into proper form on a pullup?