CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Sam Robin

Profile:
Building and Safety Permit Issues

Hey all,

So I'm in the process of getting our city permits in place for our new affiliate, CrossFit Valencia. We already have our lease signed but have been going through the process of getting our Minor Use Permit, because we are changing it from a warehouse usage to an instructional facility usage.

The permit process was actually going smoother than expected, until we hit our inevitable snag. It seems our local MMA gym, Big John McCarthy's, has blatantly gone over their occupancy allowance, and now the city is skeptical that we are actually going to have the small class sizes we claim. Big John's also housed a defunct CF Affiliate at one point, so that doesnt help.

There is another affiliate on the other side of town that almost a mirror image of our facility, structurally, and they seem to have gotten their permit alright. However, due to the city's skepticism over what my true occupancy requirements would be, I have to have a meeting with a higher-up in Building and Safety in order to get an exception. If I don't get this exception, I'm looking at some serious $$$ in renovation costs.

Does anybody have any experience with this issue? Anyone have anything I can bring to this guy at the city to show how CF isn't about big classes?
Hopefully this all made sense, thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Troy Peterson

Profile:
Re: Building and Safety Permit Issues

I'd advise having the broker who either helped you find the place OR was the listing broker for the landlord give you a hand. They should be well versed at dealing with the city. And they also have a vested interest in your lease going through, plus it shouldn't cost you anything. Tell the broker more about your business and find the best way for you to relay that to the inspector/permit issuers. Good luck.

PS Don't let something that happened at Big John's MMA gym muddy your waters....focus on your gym and what you're doing when dealing with the city. I would think distancing your business from his in your explanation will serve you well if you feel the city has a problem with his business.