CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Hamstring twang on deadlift

Hey guys

Hurt my left hamstring on the lift of a deadlift today. It's a bit sore walking but not the worst I've ever done. I've had quite a few hamstring injuries over the year from playing field hockey.

Any advice for a quick recovery?

many thanks

Jaime
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: Hamstring twang on deadlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Steele View Post
Hey guys

Hurt my left hamstring on the lift of a deadlift today. It's a bit sore walking but not the worst I've ever done. I've had quite a few hamstring injuries over the year from playing field hockey.

Any advice for a quick recovery?

many thanks

Jaime
Have you had your previous hamstring issues on the same side? If so, you may have some tightness within the muscle that needs to be addressed. Best way to address that is foam rolling. If it's pretty painful, just find a sore spot and rest on that area until the pain decreases to almost nothing, then move on to the next area. On top of that, you'll want to start stretching when your hamstring is ready for it. Most times, it takes about a week for a muscle to be receptive to LIGHT stretching. If it hurts or starts throbbing, you've gone too far. After that, you'll need to start adding some hamstring exercises - light at first, getting progressively harder. I think if Steven sees this, he'll come in with his muscle strain link, which is full of good info. Just make sure you wait on the stretching for a bit (because stretching a damaged muscle will just tear it more at this point), work on decreasing the tension within the muscle by working out knots, and easing back into hamstring exercises. It's best to work on this a bunch now so you don't ever have to worry about them again.