CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Alex Dickinson

Profile:
Rate my program?

Hey crossfit, what's up?

I'm just finishing up my first week of my new workout plan, and was wondering if I'm on the right track. My primary goal is an overall strength increase, and to continue working on endurance and speed.

Monday - 3 sets max rep push-ups (morning)
- 5x5-Deadlift, 5x5 Bench, 5x5, Squat
- 5 sets max rep pull-ups (late afternoon)

Tuesday - 3 sets max rep push-ups (morning)
- WOD
- Pyramid set pull-ups (late afternoon)

Wednesday - 3 sets max rep push-ups (morning)
- 5x5 Squat, 5x5 Shoulder Press, 5x5 Power Clean
- 9 Training sets of pull-ups, varying grips (late afternoon)

Thursday - 3 sets max rep push-ups (morning)
- interval workout involving swimming/lung capacity drills
- Max training sets of pull-ups (late afternoon)

Friday - 3 sets of max rep push-ups (morning)
- 5x5 Squat, 5x5 Bench, 5x5 Deadlift
- Pull-up drill (varies) (late afternoon)

Saturday - Muay Thai, includes interval workout

Sunday - Rest/stretch

My diet and nutrition are pretty well-covered. I'm 6'1 at 168 pounds so I try to eat 3500-3700 calories per day, good mixture of lean meats, low-glycemic carbs, fruits/vegetables (obviously varies depending on meal) in 5 meals per day.

This has been the product of a lot of reading and general research. I'll switch up the routine in another 4 weeks or so, and in the future I'll sacrifice a strength day for another conditioning day. What do you guys think? Any comments/advice/critique?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Rate my program?

What are your current numbers on your lifts?

I can't imagine a situation where I'd program what you have programmed, but enlighten me.

Why 5x5s?

Why one rest day a week?

Why 5x5 deads twice a week?

Just as a start. I have a lot of whys.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Troy Becker

Profile:

I don't think I'd ever program a 5x5 deadlift.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Milton Brisson

Profile:

You have two 5x5 deadlifts in one week...ouch! I would drop that to 1 set of 5.

Also, I see you are on the Armstrong pull-up progression...very effective!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Dave Traeger

Profile:

@alex I'm by no means an expert on this field, but the same response i got to a similar question I think applies to you: Eat more. 20-50% more.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Alex Dickinson

Profile:

Haha, I'm detecting a lot of "wtf"s in here, but that's good. I'm not too deep in yet so changes are welcome at this point.

@ Tamara:

I was in this forum earlier, I asked about a good strength training resource, they mentioned Starting Strength (book), and this is what I got out of it. To be honest, it's not really my style to do heavy lifts. I've been doing a combination of body-weight exercise, intervals, and swimming for years before this and it's been treating me alright. However, I was worried that I was neglecting a part of my fitness (strength), asked a question, this is where it led me. Rather than ask me "why" though, it'd be great to hear some reasoning behind your obviously appalled response. The book said 5x5 deadlifts twice a week to build lower back strength. I chose one rest day a week, and thought carefully about how much I would be able to take in a week, and figured it would be appropriate as I already have a solid foundation of conditioning I am building off of.

@ Milton:

Yeah I'm considering taking it back to two strength days per week, would love the extra variety in my routine anyways (or room for an extra rest day)

Also good to hear that the armstrong pull-up progression has some credibility! I was initially skeptical but so far its been what the doctor ordered, helps me get out of bed in the morning too. I'm assuming you got some pretty good pull-up numbers out of it?

Anyways, I'd love to hear a little more. So far what I got is that I'm doing something wrong, but I don't have a reason why, or for that matter a better alternative to what I'm already doing. Thanks again for the help guys
Old 03-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Dickinson View Post
Haha, I'm detecting a lot of "wtf"s in here, but that's good. I'm not too deep in yet so changes are welcome at this point.

@ Tamara:

I was in this forum earlier, I asked about a good strength training resource, they mentioned Starting Strength (book), and this is what I got out of it. To be honest, it's not really my style to do heavy lifts. I've been doing a combination of body-weight exercise, intervals, and swimming for years before this and it's been treating me alright. However, I was worried that I was neglecting a part of my fitness (strength), asked a question, this is where it led me. Rather than ask me "why" though, it'd be great to hear some reasoning behind your obviously appalled response. The book said 5x5 deadlifts twice a week to build lower back strength. I chose one rest day a week, and thought carefully about how much I would be able to take in a week, and figured it would be appropriate as I already have a solid foundation of conditioning I am building off of.

@ Milton:

Yeah I'm considering taking it back to two strength days per week, would love the extra variety in my routine anyways (or room for an extra rest day)

Also good to hear that the armstrong pull-up progression has some credibility! I was initially skeptical but so far its been what the doctor ordered, helps me get out of bed in the morning too. I'm assuming you got some pretty good pull-up numbers out of it?

Anyways, I'd love to hear a little more. So far what I got is that I'm doing something wrong, but I don't have a reason why, or for that matter a better alternative to what I'm already doing. Thanks again for the help guys
Starting Strength is really not a hybrid program, so if THIS is what you got out of it, you didn't actually read the book (or even the wiki for that matter). Strength is gained in recovery from the training, so by not allowing yourself recovery time, you are cutting your potential gains off at the knees. If you plan on doing dedicated strength work you should really have at least 3 rest days, I'd think.
There are much more compatible programs out there to use if you are combining with metcons, if thats the way you want to go (5/3/1, 70s big S&C). SS is a DEDICATED novice strength program and a great one that works for people who do it, but if you're not going to do the program then use something that is actually already designed to do what you are trying to achieve here, rather than shoehorning SS-like schemes in with a hodgepodge of every other type of training.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Dickinson View Post
To be honest, it's not really my style to do heavy lifts.
Well then it won't be your style to be really, really strong. If you don't need a whole bunch of strength, you might be okay.

But if it isn't your style, why do 5x5 deadlifts?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #9
Alex Dickinson

Profile:

@ Rebecca

Ok, I can buy this. So you mentioned there are more compatible routes to take when mixing strength with metcons, anything specific I should be looking at? I really just want to fix this mess so I can legitimately start my program.

@ Troy

Don't read into that comment too much. All I meant was that strength was out of my usual repertoire, I was concerned that I may be lacking in an important area of fitness, hence why I was doing deadlifts. "It's not really my style"="Something I don't usually do" in this case.

Again, the feedback has been much appreciated
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

If you want to do Starting Strength, do Starting Strength. It is a 3 day a week program, which is clearly defined. If you want to keep some conditioning, you can look at the 70's Big program. Either way, you need to buy the SS book (and I would recommend the DVD) and actually do the program.