CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Mike Finklestein

Profile:
A couple questions about weight loss

Ok, here are my stats. I'm 25 years old, 6'1" and 305lbs (down from 314 on January first). I do Brand X Crossfit 4-5 times a week and usually throw in a 1.5mile-2mile run afterwards. My goal is to obviously lose weight (lose fat, specifically) and maybe add some muscle while increasing my overall fitness.

Prior to my workouts Ive been taking a supplement called "Jack3d." Its a combo of Creatine, Nitrous Oxide and Caffeine. More info can be found here: www.jack-3d.com. My first question is.... will this impede my ability to lose weight/fat?

Secondly Ive been drinking protein shakes 1-2 times a day (usually in the morning and post work out-which is just a couple hours before bed). Considering my fitness goals, do you think these are necessary?

Lastly.... when eating healthy, nutrient rich foods.. I struggle to eat more than 1500-1800 calories most days because Im just not hungry beyond that. Is this a healthy amount of calories for someone my size and my goals?

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: A couple questions about weight loss

Since 1800 calories is less than I eat, and I'm more than 150 pounds smaller than you, there's a good chance it isn't enough.

Does that include the protein shakes, though? I wouldn't say protein shakes are bad in general, but I'd really discourage any form of liquid calories for someone in your situation. Eat food.

The Jack3D is extremely likely to mess with your appetite. I wouldn't recommend it.

Katherine
Old 01-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Josh Martin

Profile:

Hey Mike. While I'm certainly no expert on the subject, our stories are so similiar I felt compelled to chime in with my experiences. I started out at 264lbs on Feb 1st last year, currently sit at 166-168lbs (actually trying to gain a bit right now). So the first thing I'd say is stick with it! The results will be there sooner then you can imagine ( I actually lost the weight in about 8 months, been fairly steady since as I didn't want to lose any more).

When I first started with Crossfit I too tried that very same supplement. Although I didn't take it long enough to experience any negative side effects, I also didn't notice any sort of boost a cup of black coffee before wouldn't do for me before a WOD. And really, we're trying to get our bodies healthier, not just lose weight, so anytime you can cut man-made junk out of your diet, I say go for it.

"Protein shakes" is a pretty broad term. Some form of whey and water/milk/fruit is cool if that's all it is, but go for real, whole foods as often as possible to get your calories and nutrients. Which leads me to your last question...

No, I don't think that's enough calories for someone your size, even though you're trying to drop significant weight. If there is ONE thing I wish I would have done differently through out the last year, is I wish I would have eaten more. I dropped weight early on too fast before I learned about Paleo and the benefits of whole foods and not the low fat/low carb crap. My strength suffered terribly because of it.

Another thing I'd say is don't over exercise and make sure you get plenty of recovery. If you under eat, and over train, your body won't want to turn loose of the fat ( I think this has something to do with cortisol? Maybe someone more educated can chime in here ). And finally, watch your measurements, NOT just numbers on the scale.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Honestly, I don't know much about the supplement, but anything that promises to get your heart rate up even higher during a workout is something I'd stay far away from. If I'm off base with the way Jackd works here, ignore me.

You're overweight and out of shape. Your heart will be working hard enough during the workouts and runs as it is, no?

I'm not against supplements, but I get very scared around ones that increase heart rate.

Also, I agree with what Katherine said.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Jason Halm

Profile:

Train less, eat more. Specifically, cut out most of the runs.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Mike Finklestein

Profile:

Thanks for the advice everyone! Keep it coming.

@Jason- Why do I need to cut out the runs if I have the energy to do them and they don't cause any excessive muscle soreness?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Jack3d has a banned substance in it, Geranamine (1,3 dimethylamylamine).
Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Jason Halm

Profile:

Your calorie level just doesn't support the activity. That's why you've lost nearly a pound a day since the new year, which is fantastic, but ultimately unsustainable. Not to mention the stress. I've been lifting, off and on for about three years, and I can't hit that volume....I would crossfit 4 times a week, run one of the off days and maybe one of the shorter crossfit days, and walk a mile or two the other days.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

The runs aren't doing much for your fat burning and may be impeding fat loss if they're overstressing your body. As someone mentioned earlier, elevated cortisol will hurt your efforts to get leaner. Cortisol levels get boosted when you don't eat enough or when your activity levels are too high. Plus at 300+lbs that's a lot of pounding your joints to be running 1.5 or 2 miles after a workout.

I agree that you should ditch the jack3d. If you need a cup of coffee and some creatine before you lift then do it, don't rely on a suspect supplement.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
Mike Finklestein

Profile:

@ Jason and Eric - I certainly dont want to come across as argumentative, cause I'm just trying to understand this. If my body were being over worked from the workouts I'm doing, wouldn't I see some of the classic signs of overtraining like, low energy levels, muscle fatigue, decreases in strength and cardio? Because I'm still seeing positive results in terms of my WOD performance, obviously the weight loss, and after the first few days I've had very little muscle soreness after the workouts.(at the suggestion of some in another thread Ive picked out about 10 WODs and cycle through them since I don't have the time or a lot of the equipment that is needed for the standard Crossfit plan) As far as my weight goes, Ive been a runner for a while (I'm a police officer, so running is emphasized as part of the job performance) and I don't have any more knee pain than the average runner... and my physician does not have any problems with me running as long as I listen to my body.