CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I'm thinking about a career in special forces, and for this I'm going to need to be able to do a lot of sit-ups, pushups and pullups as well as be fit in order to pass selection. At the moment the first stage of testing is pretty mild at:
beep test 10, 30 pushups, 60 situps and 10 pullups
I do
beep test 12.2, 69 pushups, 60 situps, 16 pullups
but I know that this requirement will increase further down the line.

So, how can I increase this while keeping in mind the benefits of a crossfit regime? at the moment I've been doing 3 sets of max pushups and situps on day one, and 3 sets of max pullups on day 2, simultaneous with W.O.D. But if anyone has any better ideas I'd be glad to hear it
Old 11-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
GTG....grease the groove....do sets of 50-60% of pushups, situps and pullups daily....well spaced apart...never to failure.

Never go to failure...your muscles will not be able to recover fast enough...pretty soon you are doing sets of 10...13...15...17....keeps going up....key is volume...without sacrificing performance...

Old 11-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
OK, how many sets am I to be doing daily?
And if I never go to failure how do I know what 50% is if it is constantly increasing?

Thanks for your help
Old 11-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Probably more realistic to do until you feel like you are 2-3 away from failure....and stop...that number should increase weekly.

Sets....vary....could be once an hour...4x a day....every day is different, just keep with one set and then break for like at least an hour before attempting another set. Try one day with an extra 10lbs added...try jumping pullups one day...keep it random. Take a day off and see if the numbers are better with the break.

Thats how I got my pushups and pullups better...randomly doing sets throughout the day. HSPU are next

(Message edited by mike_od on November 16, 2006)
Old 11-17-2006, 05:11 AM   #5
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Mitchell,
Mike has a great solution if this is something you can work in your schedule...I couldn’t.

Here's what I did:
Peripheral Heart Action (PHA) Tabata 4 days a week upon awakening. I started with low volume and a bit more aggressive 'intensity' 80%? – I strived for blistering speed of movement and never got into a grind it out situation. I increased Volume slowly - starting at 4 rounds, eventually averaging 6 and occasionally pushing to 8.

I eventually went to a weight vest with 20lbs for 2 days and non-weight for 2 days.

My pushups were weak so I increased the Range of motion on 2-days (hands on Kettlebells).

Eventually I worked up to a 40lb weight vest!

So the workout could look like this:

• Chins x 20sec – rest 10 sec
• Pushups x 20sec – rest 10 sec
• Sit-ups x 20sec – rest 10 sec
• Squats x 20sec – rest 10 sec
• Repeat at top starting with chins for 4-8 rounds

Or

• Chins x 30sec
• Pushups x 30sec
• Sit-ups x 30sec
• Squats x 30sec
• Repeat for 4-8 rounds

Sometimes I might only work for 15 of those seconds, other times the full 30.

Occasionally I would pick set numbers and repeat for as many rounds as I could in 20 minutes: NOTE – the numbers here are an example and display my specific strengths and weaknesses, modify as needed:

• Chins x 8
• Pushups 15
• Sit-ups x 20
• Squats x 22
• As many rounds as possible in 10 minutes

Of course, none of this should take the place of your CrossFit workout.

Later in the day and sprinkled in throughout the week I kept up on my Push presses, thrusters, snatches, cleans, High-pulls, swings, MU’s, and 400meter repeats…

I worked up to some pretty decent numbers on this program and maintain most of my progress today despite dropping the extra workouts…

Good luck, I hope this helps,
Jerry

Old 11-17-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Jerry you ruined my fun...I want a world of people in suits doing random pushups around the office and pullups on every street corner. :showoff:

Mitchell, Jerry has some good solutions as well.

Funny now I walk around all day...and if I see something to go do some pullups on....I go do a set....and then maybe feel like some pushups later...I do pushups....the world is your playground.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #7
Martin Schap

Profile:
Someone else just recently had the EXACT same question as you. Lots of good ideas in this thread. Good Luck!
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/29390.html
Old 11-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #8
Derek Simonds

Profile:
Mike you would love my office.

My office door is the unofficial pullup bar for the company. You have to have a rock climber grip to grab it. I am going to install a real p/u bar in one of the supply hallways over the holidays. We have several guys doing GTG all day long between squats, push ups and HSPU's. It is actually pretty funny to be doing HSPU's with a tie in your face.

One key element we learned the hard way always kick off your shoes before you flip up to the wall otherwise you leave some pretty nasty black marks.

Jerry, I am printing out your tabata intervals and tacking that to the fridge for a nice evening roundy round. Great info.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Jerry,

Great idea. I'm stealing that idea and passing that on to my Marine Corps Officer Candidate buddies. Some of them need a little extra... push to help get them ready for OCS next summer, and I haven't quite convinced many people on the benefits of sandbags and rings to help them out.

Oh well. Even though I can't bring any weights or rings out to PT, I still run it Monday/Wednesday/Friday, and they all still hate me when I bring out Tabata anything. :-)

21-15-9 of a few or all four of those exercises also makes for a great morning warmup!

Good stuff.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
Dwayne Holloway

Profile:
Mike, you would like my office also. I do my grease the groove pull ups in my office attire. It looks kind of funny with the tie on but it sure has increased my max pull up reps.

Mitchell, The grease the groove has worked for me. I do 3 pull ups every half hour. I went from not being able to do a pull up to completing 12 reps with palms both ways in less than 6 months. I am 45 years old and sit behind a desk most of the time.

Hope this helps
Dwayne