CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Monika-Marie Buttjes

Profile:
To the Women of CrossFit

To the women of CrossFit

I am currently in my 4th year of Fashion Design in Vancouver, Canada. My boyfriend is a CrossFit coach, and in the midst of opening his own gym. From his influence, I have decided to create my final graduation line on fitness apparel tailored specifically for women who practice CrossFit.

From my research I have found that most women want to look and feel good while working out. She normally wears Lululemon, but would be interested in trying something new. She wants to be comfortable and fashionable, all while maintaining functionality in the garments she wears. It is proven that when women work out, looking good contributes to emotional feelings of empowerment, goal setting, and the overall better performance of a workout.

That said, I want to create CrossFit fitness apparel that is fashionable and above all FUNCTIONAL. Please help me create my final line by answering the following questions.

1. What elements are missing from your current fitness clothes? If you could add anything, what would it be? and how can this be helpful for your workout?

2. Are you partial to wearing neutral colours, or bright colours?

3. Would you be interested in shorts with a built in pocket, conveniently placed, for a stop watch? This would shorten your time if you are working out alone.

4. Do you ever find yourself pulling at your garments? and if so, why?

5. Would you consider yourself someone who cares about looking good through fashion while working out?

6. How old are you?

7. What are your most flattering articles of fitness clothing? and why?

8. What is one item you cannot live without?

Thank you all so much
Monika-Marie
monikambuttjes@gmail.com
Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Shannon Mullens

Profile:
Re: To the Women of CrossFit

1. What elements are missing from your current fitness clothes? If you could add anything, what would it be? and how can this be helpful for your workout?

Mine don't fit well. I generally wear loose-fitting, men's clothing to get enough room to move around, particularly in chest and butt areas. I feel anything but adorable in mine.

I'd rather be wearing bright colors if I'm going to spend money to buy something adorable to work out in.

3. Would you be interested in shorts with a built in pocket, conveniently placed, for a stop watch? This would shorten your time if you are working out alone.

Yes. A million times yes. I'm too nearsighted to see the clocks and it's really screwing things up.

Yep. Mostly because they're made for men.

5. Would you consider yourself someone who cares about looking good through fashion while working out?

I would love to be the girl at the gym in awesome clothes who looks great and is lifting heavy. Yep. I don't know if that translates to looking good through fashion though.

6. How old are you?

Don't have any.

My sports bra.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

1. What elements are missing from your current fitness clothes?
**It'd be nice to take my fitness gear away from the gym and not look like I was too lazy to get dressed.
If you could add anything, what would it be? and how can this be helpful for your workout?
**More wicking, more anti-bacterial/microbial fabric. More stretchy, preshrunk, flat seamed non-chafing material. It'd be helpful because it wouldn't aggravate the living devil out of me while I'm moving around.
Yes.
Shorts, or a place on a strap on a sports top where it could be clipped/placed.
I have a big ***, and big legs. I HATEHATEHATEHATE anything binding on my butt or my thighs, so moving around doing lunges/squats/cleans etc. means I'll be picking my butt or adjusting around my thighs.
Yes.
6. How old are you?
halter tank tops and a couple pair of my lulu shorts and a couple of pair of my Nikes. They're short, the lulu's cover my ***, the Nikes don't. As far as pants go, I have two pair of Sarah Johnson pants and some lulu Grooves that are rad because of the cut through the backside.
Racerback tank tops.

I've only got one request for anyone designing clothes. Figure out a way to design a tank that offers support but doesn't aggravate the devil out of my shoulder. The pressure from a tank strap across the top of my shoulder aggravates my rotator cuff like all get out, and I have NO IDEA why.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Brock Wilson

Profile:

Jamie, not being facetious at all, but please elaborate. The clothing aggravates your rotator cuff?

You feel discomfort within the joint that varies based on what you wear?

I'm an informal student of shoulder injuries and am interested.

Thank you
Brock
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Gowens View Post
I've only got one request for anyone designing clothes. Figure out a way to design a tank that offers support but doesn't aggravate the devil out of my shoulder. The pressure from a tank strap across the top of my shoulder aggravates my rotator cuff like all get out, and I have NO IDEA why.
Maybe try a different size or brand?

I don't have that problem. For me, Under Armor sports bras chafe like crazy and Nikes don't, apparently because Under Armor doesn't realize that women can have pecs. So experimenting is definitely worth the time in the dressing room.

Katherine
Old 10-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:

Workout bras that look more like shirts.

Bright but not obnoxious.

Yes.

I pull at everything. If I get sweaty, I pull my shirts away from my belly. I pull my shorts down when they ride up.

Yes

6. How old are you?

Nike tight shorts - they are a little more high waisted and cover my legs to the right length.

Racerback supportive bras.

I agree with the wicking materials... a whole set of clothes with matching colors with choices for ALL body types would be awesome:

Fight shorts are coming in BIG. So Fight Shorts: Stretchy shorts that go to your upper thigh. Stretchy Booty shorts. Boys loose shorts.

Racerback Shirts. Tanks for people who don't like racerback. Bra/Shirts.

Pants and Long Sleeve shirts. Jackets.

AND SOCKS.. matching or coordinating lifting knee socks.

It would be so cool to be able to say - love this style shorts, that shirt.. great colors.. fab socks... and not cost as much as Lulu.

Good luck!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Wilson View Post
Jamie, not being facetious at all, but please elaborate. The clothing aggravates your rotator cuff?

You feel discomfort within the joint that varies based on what you wear?

I'm an informal student of shoulder injuries and am interested.

Thank you
Brock
Yup. I **** you not. Certain tops and bras of mine make my shoulder feel like I just played 6 innings behind the plate fastpitch. The same exact burning sensation and pain. I have NO idea why. I haven't figured it out, I know that if a strap rides at a certain point across my shoulder, I won't be able to lift or move my arm without pain by the end of the day. I've got three stupidcute tops that I just ignore now because they reduce me to agony within an hour.
If I wear any of them, forget pullups, lifting, throwing, anything, because my shoulder's on fire. First I thought it was a mental thing and I was just being a baby, but The Guy touched my shoulder once when I was wearing one of the tops and noted that it was warmer than any other part of my body.

If you have an explanation, I'd love to hear it, because I'm NOT down with surgery yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Maybe try a different size or brand?

I don't have that problem. For me, Under Armor sports bras chafe like crazy and Nikes don't, apparently because Under Armor doesn't realize that women can have pecs. So experimenting is definitely worth the time in the dressing room.

Katherine
I've got Lululemon, Betsy Johnson, Old Navy, Champion, Danskin, and a couple of racerbacks I can't remember the name of. One Lulu, the Danskins, and my Diesel bras all have the same effect.
It's not the band size, I've experimented there, it's the straps and where they lay. Even a quarter of an inch makes a HUGE difference. And it isn't muscular, it's in the stupid joint. It's bizarre.

Nike annoys me because I'm not a large in their tops, and the mediums are too small. Last time I wore a Nike sports bra I was doing a pole class and dislocated a rib. =/
Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Such a worthwhile cause...

1. What elements are missing from your current fitness clothes? If you could add anything, what would it be? and how can this be helpful for your workout? Sports bras with designs/patterns/multiple colors instead of just solid colors.

2. Are you partial to wearing neutral colours, or bright colours? Bright colors, metallics, sequins and glitter.

3. Would you be interested in shorts with a built in pocket, conveniently placed, for a stop watch? This would shorten your time if you are working out alone. Pockets irritate me.

4. Do you ever find yourself pulling at your garments? and if so, why? Hate spandex that rides up. See answer to #7.

5. Would you consider yourself someone who cares about looking good through fashion while working out? Always

6. How old are you? 34

7. What are your most flattering articles of fitness clothing? and why? I honestly love lululemon shorts because THEY DON'T RIDE UP and don't cut into your legs when you squat. I wore board shorts from Target and Pac Sun forever, and when my thighs got bigger from squatting, they would no longer work for squats. I switched to spandex shorts, and 99% of them ride up. I am totally willing to pay $50 for a pair of shorts that actually fit well and are functional. My issue with lululemon is that they are pretty boring with their colors and patterns.

8. What is one item you cannot live without? Knee socks. I need someone to make me knee socks with glitter on them. Really.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
Monika-Marie Buttjes

Profile:

This is really good information for me to consider, as I'm sure there are many other women out there with the same problem.

Can you explain to me where exactly the agitation occurs?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Anne Dayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
8. What is one item you cannot live without? Knee socks. I need someone to make me knee socks with glitter on them. Really.
DSW.
I saw some pretty snazzy knee socks there and thought - these look like ones Tamara would like. Really.