CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
Corey Borolien

Profile:
squat every day?

My main goal over the winter is to improve my back squat. All my core lifts really, but my squat seems relatively weak. Has anyone tried, or have feedback on, the idea of squatting every day?

I don't even mean as a workout per se, just keep a moderate weight on the bar, sitting on the rack (I have a gym in my basement) and just walk up to it and do a few reps every day after some air squats to loosen up. This would be in addition to a regular strength training program.

I would hope that this would develop the neuromuscular pathways and cns without causing over training. I've read comments where people even do one rep every hour throughout the day.

I have been pondering the idea after following Dave Lipson's blog where he is doing at least one 450lb squat every single day. I did a 200+ day run streak once and it was the best thing I ever did for my running. The 100 day burpee challenge was the best thing I ever did for burpees too. I like these kinds of challenges and this one is beckoning.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Stu Christensen

Profile:
Re: squat every day?

If you are serious about doing something like this, Smolov's squat program is a great start. It will build your squat up, like you want - but you will have to sacrifice some other stuff in the mean time. It would be worth it though, believe me.

Oh, and welcome to a fellow S'toon boy!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Brent Blackburn

Profile:

Sounds like a good idea as long as it is managed well. I love the idea of taking a weakness and programming it into every day. I am doing that with double unders right now and it has helped improve greatly in only a week. I would think that this would "grease the gears" and get your body primed for squatting.

The main thing for me would be to dial in my form during the warmups and daily work, that way I am not reinforcing bad habits. I wouldn't think it would be that big of a jump since most people do squats everyday in their warmup. You would simply be adding weight to that and doing it everyday instead of 3 on/1 off.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Mike Erickson

Profile:

I don't remember if it was in SS or Practical Programming, but Rip mentioned competitive Oly lifters doing squats 6 days a week.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Thomas Green

Profile:

Smolov is pure torture, but your numbers will skyrocket.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Smolov is pure torture, but your numbers will skyrocket.

This.

The rest of your week usually sucks, though.

Not that I spent a lot of time foam rolling, stretching, and crying.

Really.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Erickson View Post
I don't remember if it was in SS or Practical Programming, but Rip mentioned competitive Oly lifters doing squats 6 days a week.
Some time is usually spent building up to this, depending on the coach.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric A. Brown View Post
Some time is usually spent building up to this, depending on the coach.
A progression could be heavy 3x a week, and the bar to moderate weights the other days or a daily max every day which can vary between 80%-100%+ of your max depending on how you feel during the day. One of the benefits of daily maxes is the numbers are self regulating depending on how you recover, sleep, eat, etcetera instead of straight up linear progression.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

I realize many people have had success with it, but I'm not a big fan of Smolov personally. If you decide to do it anyway, my recommendation would be to adjust %s as necessary and reduce training frequency as needed. There are many modified "Smolovs" out there and some of them may be better suited to your needs.

"Grease the groove" (Pavel) is not a bad plan, however doing it in addition to a lot of other training (including the exercise you're using GTG with) probably is.

JMO.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
Larry Cook

Profile:

Corey,

If you are looking at just doing moderate weight back squats some days along with a regular lifting program, I don't see any problem with that. Listen to your body and adjust the volume accordingly. If you have not squatted much to begin with, definitely give yourself a couple of weeks to get accommodated.

Lipson's program is interesting. Dave is a great guy and I'm sure if you email him and ask him about the pros and cons of it, he'll be very forthcoming.

Lastly, some folks here have mentioned the Smolov program. I've never done it but here is a nice take on it from someone who has tried it a few times. From what I've read, if you choose to do the Smolov program, do not skip over the 2 week introductory cycle.

All links are W/F Safe.

Whatever you decide, have fun and good luck!!

Larry