CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Andy Ross

Profile:
Double-unders: Functional... how?

I understand the functionality or "functional-ness" of most CrossFit movements. But I don't understand why we do double-unders. Of course, they are hard, require a lot of coordination and get your heart-rate going. But at certain point (or high enough reps) any movement does these things.

I guess what I'm saying is: I get why we put in the time to learn a muscle-up. It's a skill that might actually come in useful, whereas, I can't see why learning double-unders would make you better at anything real except doing more unbroken double-unders.

Thoughts?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
James Napier

Profile:
Re: Double-unders: Functional... how?

my guess is it improves cardio, foot speed, bounding, maybe running speed, coordination and might keep you from needing to by a treadmill in the colder months
plus you'll need it before you get to that elusive tripple under
Old 09-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Jared Ashley

Profile:

they develop speed, agility, and coordination. additionally at high reps they provide an endurance and stamina stimulus. The skills developed for double-unders would carry over to other skills. Ergo, they are functional. There's not really anything more to it.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

Not to mention the fact that they act upon your neurological system. Which makes all other muscular and movement patterns work at a faster and more efficiant.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Larry Cook

Profile:

You may want to check out "The Chink in my Armor" - W/F/S

In the write up, Amundson notes that after mastering the double under:
1) his 1:00 max rep box jumps (24") increased from 35 to 51,
2) his 400m time dropped to 0:58
3) his firearm accuracy and manipulation improved

I'm not sure how this squares with your own definition of "functional" (there seem to be many different takes on this) - but double unders seemed to have some carry over for Greg.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Reznick View Post
Not to mention the fact that they act upon your neurological system.
Doesn't everything act upon your neurological system?

Justin
Old 09-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

Double unders are functional because they move a large load a long distance in a short . . . wait a minute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
they develop speed, agility, and coordination. additionally at high reps they provide an endurance and stamina stimulus. The skills developed for double-unders would carry over to other skills. Ergo, they are functional. There's not really anything more to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Reznick View Post
Not to mention the fact that they act upon your neurological system. Which makes all other muscular and movement patterns work at a faster and more efficiant.
I agree with these and think double unders are cool, but I still think the OP's question is fair because, while I like double unders, I don't really think they are better than other agility things we could be programming instead or in addition. Wouldn't shuttle runs, parkour drills, ladders, or sprints be at LEAST as worthy as double unders for being included? I think so.

But oh well. Ultimately I think it boils down to:
1) Coach Glassman likes double unders
2) Double unders are easier to do in your garage than 4 point shuttle runs, and easier for 15 people in a box to do simultaneously.
2) If you want other agility stuff, do it!
3) If you think double unders aren't worth your time, skip it.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I personally think double unders are a "trick". They fall under the category of things that shouldn't be in a competition because they unfairly limit the playing field to those that have spent time to learn the trick. i.e. Mikko not doing well on double unders despite the fact that he is obviously extremely fit. No non-crossfitter ever has a chance to win the competition as long as tricks are involved. It's like juggling bowling balls...it may require fitness but that's not the primary driver.

Even in something like a pistol you can show someone who is fit how to do it and they will be able to in short order. Snatches, muscle ups, etc. can all be done with a quick tutorial. Maybe not proficiently in very high weights, but the movement can be completed by "FIT" individuals.

They also feel like they are rough on the joints. e.g. The only time I've ever had any knee discomfort is after practicing double unders.

They might have some great benefits as part of a training program as discussed above and be worthwhile to do as part of training but it seems to me like that's where it should end.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 09-14-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
James Francis

Profile:

TIMING? which would improve 'accuracy' under fire..., speed, endurance, agility, conditioning, stamina and above all they are a B&&ch they may be considered a 'trick' but so could muscle ups, clean and jerk, overhead squats, snatches, because once you learn the trick, then you can perform more efficiently and thus move more wt. With the pistols, sure you could show a fit guy how to do em, and once he saw how it goes, then he could do em. But if he doesn't have a lick of balance, he doesn't stand a chance. There is a 'trick' to DU it is developing the speed and timing to be able to get the rope around fast enough to make your jumps efficient...but this is no more of a 'trick' than anything else we do...ring handstand pushups...Trick?

Last edited by James Francis : 09-14-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
Troy Becker

Profile:

Boxers do double-unders and all sorts of other jump rope work all the time for the footwork benefits alone.

Besides, have you ever done a hundred? They have to be in the top five for sapping your energy.