CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Lindsay Grant

Profile:
Fasting

Hey Everyone

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with fasting. On the Marksdailyapple website it seems like this is a very common thing and can be very beneficial for the body. I am researching up on this but I figured I would see what others thought about this and what your experiences on this would be.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Adam Wander

Profile:
Re: Fasting

I would be interested in hearing what more experienced people have to say as well.

I began doing 24-hour fasts 1 to 2 times per week. The way I do it is I will wake up in the morning and have a larger than normal breakfast and larger than normal lunch. Then I will fast until lunch the next day. I will usually eat an earlier lunch just before the fast or a later lunch when I break the fast, so that I get a full 24 hours.

I have felt great doing it. I eat VERY low carb, which really helps because I don't ever get strong hunger pains, etc. The hardest time is usually at night, but it all seems psychological - I feel like I need to eat something at night and find myself subconsciously walking into the kitchen and opening the fridge.

I haven't noticed any increase or decrease in my performance on the WODs or in my energy levels so far, but I've only been doing it for a few weeks now.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Yes...lots of benefits for health, weight loss, lowering fasting insulin level/inflammation, and emotional dependence on food. It is not about starving oneself (as you still eat food outside of the fasting windows), just short intermittent fasts that are part of our natural built in stress-survival stimulus (otherwise known as the feast-famine response). You won't lose muscle when you do it correctly either, and some can even gain some (all depends on how you eat and train of course too).

I could go on and on....but there is a free 3 part ebook series that already covers most all of it here:
The IF Life (link sfw)

and you can also read through the 100s of comments on this post to see what others have experienced with it as well:
Intermittent Fasting 101 (link sfw)

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 12-09-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

I fast Mon-Fri - eat only breakfast @ 8 am and lunch at 2-3 pm and then don't eat till next morning. Have been doing it for about 8-10 weeks. Works great for me & my schedule. No ill side effects with twice a day training & performance is excellent. Weekends I just eat Paleo with one meal allowing for some dairy (like blue cheese with wings or feta cheese on a greek salad). No gluten though.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
John C Corona

Profile:

For quasi-spiritual reasons, I will fast once a year. But it is not intermittent, and has to be planned around stuff, as it is a week long event. I rarely eat meats & grains, but for this week I will strictly only eat fruits and vegetables.

Mon: normal calories 2500+.
Tues: 2000 cals
Wed: 1500 cals
Thurs: 1000 cals: mostly juice...I stop working out intensly, but will do light exercises.
Fri: 500 cals: juice only
Sat: nothing but water - no exercise - much relaxing.
Sun: around 1500, but all veggies & fruit - little exercise.
Mon: 2000 or more cals and back to working out

Breaking the fast is a sensitive issue, as I've felt crappy drinking "too much" fruit juice. So eating some veggies mixed with some juice works better that Sun morning.

I really dont know how people go more days. I'm wondering if I could do Fri & Sat but haven't tried yet. I think juice 'fasts' are easier, as you are getting nutrients & cals. I could probably go a week or more on just juice but haven't tried that either.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
James Forshaw

Profile:

I'll fast +20 hours on rest days, and on average about 3/4 times a week from 16-18 hours - definitely not anal about it though. Performance doesn't usually suffer, especially if I break a fast then work out a couple of hours later. Personally, I think it feels good to give your stomach a rest - and since calorie restriction and fasting have the effect of elongating life, then why not do it? It's a very easy, very comfortable and very convenient way of doing things, especially if you don't like filling your belly as soon as you get up like me.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Mike Sawley

Profile:

I think James is right on. What I do is similar, eating my first meal of the day at 1-2pm (huge salad, fish or meat on top), workout at about 5-6pm, eat dinner around 7pm with an 8pm cutoff. Dinner is also paleo, with lots of animal meat and carb intake (veggies, maybe a sweet potato or a carrot) based on WOD duration.

I agree with those who recommend getting into the paleo groove, achieving a good sleep schedule, and minimizing stress (other than WODs) prior to delving into IF. It is satisfying to see the various advances made when you square-away these items one at a time.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

I began IF 2 weeks ago to go along with my Zone Paleo diet. My biggest reason for trying it was because I injured myself a few weeks back and figured I should take this time to really focus on my nutrition since I cannot workout at the moment.

I've found that I have more energy throughout the day and as far as I can tell by the mirror my body composition does not seem to have changed much, if at all... remember, that's with no workouts. I am interested to see how a workout feels during mid-fast.

I use the 15 hour fast and I try to change it up every other day or so. Some days I'll stop eating at 5pm and start again at 8am the next day. Other days I'll stop eating at 8pm and pick back up at 11am the next day.

From what I understand, your liver has enough glycogen stores to supply your body for about 16 hours. Anything past that and I believe you begin to breakdown protein.? Not a doctor, just trying to make sense of what I've read. It works for me though.