CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Loni Venn

Profile:
Paleo vs. Zone

In the latest CFJ Dr. Sears states that a weighed and measured zone diet using any food source will outperform an unrestricted paleo diet. I have serious doubts about this and would like to see some evidence (i.e. studies comparing the two diets) supporting this stance.

I am also curious about his stance toward weighed and measured zone diet without food source restrictions vs. a low carb paleo diet in which you eat to satiety. I am willing to wager that a low carb paleo diet would match and exceed the anti-inflammatory benefits of a zone diet. The results detailed here http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/ (WFS) and here www.************* (some language but otherwise WFS) seem to support this idea.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Paleo vs. Zone

Barry's trying to sell books about his magical 4/3 Carb/Protein ratio.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Both are flawed if taken to bad extremes.

Let's see...in one corner we have a perfectly weighed and measured 40/30/30 ratio of tofu, rice, and bacon grease for your protein, carbs, and fat sources.

In the other corner you're eating unlimited sweet potatoes and sunflower seeds and maybe a side of meat.

Ok, should we argue about which choice is worse?

I haven't watched the CFJ video yet but this paragraph was in the intro:

"If Sears had to choose between weighing and measuring quantities of any food and eating unregulated quantities of Paleo foods, he would choose the former. The best approach is to actually combine the two."

That's like deciding whether you'd rather drive a car without tires or one without an engine. Let's just say that macronutrient ratio is nice, and food quality is nice, but 100% of either one with 0% of the other is probably not going to make you healthy or a strong performer.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
Ted Sheedy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loni Venn View Post
In the latest CFJ Dr. Sears states that a weighed and measured zone diet using any food source will outperform an unrestricted paleo diet. I have serious doubts about this and would like to see some evidence (i.e. studies comparing the two diets) supporting this stance.

I am also curious about his stance toward weighed and measured zone diet without food source restrictions vs. a low carb paleo diet in which you eat to satiety. I am willing to wager that a low carb paleo diet would match and exceed the anti-inflammatory benefits of a zone diet. The results detailed here http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/ (WFS) and here www.************* (some language but otherwise WFS) seem to support this idea.
This is the definition of a false dichotomy. I won't argue that if you went strictly by the calorie-controlled Zone diet it MIGHT beat an unrestricted Paleo diet. But what is an "unrestricted" Paleo diet. Does that mean eating until you feel like vomiting and destroying bananas and other high-glycemic fruits? So yeah, eating 4,000 calories of Paleo is probably going to be worse than 2,000 calories of crappy Zone. There is no one magic elixir. Paleo is about food quality and the Zone is about quantity. Try the Zone, understand portions and macronutrient ratios, but food quality is first and foremost.

Who cares about that garbage? Try out Paleo, try out Zone. See what works for you.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Loni Venn

Profile:

I think the problem here is "unweighed unmeasured" paleo does not imply unlimited carbohydrates which seem to be the main instigator of inflammation. Unweighed unmeasured encompasses a variety of macronutrient breakdowns. I believe a low carb paleo diet, in which you eat to satiety, will beat weighing and measuring big macs any day of the week. Dr. Eade's Protein Power and Gary Taubes' GCBC provides a lot of evidence in support of this idea.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Steve Gillanders

Profile:

Quote:
In the latest CFJ Dr. Sears states that a weighed and measured zone diet using any food source will outperform an unrestricted paleo diet.

Bizarre. Until I watched the vid I thought you had misunderstood or misinterpreted what he said. But you're right, Sears does in fact state that a weighed and measured Zone diet with substandard quality food (e.g. Twinkies - did he really say that?) is 'healthier' than a high quality, unmeasured paleo diet.

Don't get me wrong, I think The Zone is great. I was just talking to a guy today who lost 30 lbs, went from a sz 38 to a sz 32 waistline, and is enjoying the benefits of a healthier life from adhering to the Zone Diet. But anecdotal or not, there is an overwhelming positive response that can't be ignored from people who have adopted the paleo diet.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Since you're new here...

Dr. Sears is not a participant here at the Crossfit forum. There is a Zone Diet forum, which might be better for questions directed at him specifically.

Some recent debate surrounding the Crossfit Nutrition Certs has involved, in part, this very question. I won't go into the details--doing so would get the thread closed--I just mention it to let you know you've stuck your foot into a hornet's nest.

Most people here, whether they follow the Zone or not, believe that food quality is extremely important. Exactly what "quality food" means, and how to balance quality and quantity, are debated with great regularity. None of the posts in these debates necessarily represent, or agree with, Dr. Sears's position on the question.

Katherine
Old 12-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Loni Venn

Profile:

I understand that Dr. Sears probably won't join the discussion. I am more interested in what other crossfitters have to say about Dr. Sears' assertion.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

I don't follow the Zone or Paleo diets 100%, more of a combo of the two. My thoughts would be more in line with the Paleo people, clean up your diet first then look at how much you are eating.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:38 AM   #10
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Since you're new here...

Dr. Sears is not a participant here at the Crossfit forum. There is a Zone Diet forum, which might be better for questions directed at him specifically.

Some recent debate surrounding the Crossfit Nutrition Certs has involved, in part, this very question. I won't go into the details--doing so would get the thread closed--I just mention it to let you know you've stuck your foot into a hornet's nest.
The only reason this thread would get closed would be because you just :stir: by bringing up the surrounding debate. You should've just let the thread run it course, it someone screws up, they screw up.