CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:
Anyone try the Warrior Dash?

I came across this website last night for an obstacle course race called "The Warrior Dash" (link wfs) http://www.warriordash.com It looks like so much fun: a 3.5 mile course that involves mud crawling obstacles, cargo nets, river running, and even having to hurdle fire then it all finishes up with beer, live music, and Viking helmets for the winners. I'm seriously considering doing the race on May 1st in TX. Has anyone else done this race before? Do you have any advice? Next year will be the first time it's in TX, and each course is different, but I'm sure there's a lot of similarities between the events. I usually hate long runs ( I was always a sprinter) but when you fill the course with challenging obstacles and, of course, crazy people in costumes, what's not to love?
Old 12-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
John Rolfe

Profile:
Re: Anyone try the Warrior Dash?

Gonna have to seriously think about doing that with the wife. It looks like a great time.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Aaron Cawley

Profile:

i am pretty sure that i am going to be there in may. as long as there are no unforseen problems in the weeks leading up to it. i am trying to get my brother in law and some fellow kung fu guys to go with me. it looks like a blast.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Brian Russell

Profile:

That looks like fun!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
James R. Climer

Profile:

I ran the Bakersfield, CA 'Volkslauf' in 2008 with a group of fellow irononliners, we ran the 10k length. It was fun to say the least, the course included a 1/4-mile mud trench that got as deep as mid-thigh, where maximum gravel pickup in my shoes occurred, (I recommend you find a shoe that minimizes this unplesant attribute - carrying that mess for four miles is tough on the soles), definitely wear footie type socks to minize the weight accumulation.

The best part was the free beer midway through the course, the worst was the obstacle-packed last mile that had the effect of a 1-mile sprint. I stayed with my group which was paced by the slowest runner, so it felt like a warmup run for me. Boy was I in for a surprise to find out how drained I was when my legs locked up crossing a log bridge and I almost fell into the muck trench. The up & over followed by ducking under followed by climbing up then back down muddy, slick hills was exhausting. The end obstacle was a 50-meter long mud pool with 8-feet deep muddy water. Swimming through getting kicked in the face the whole time and then crawling out up the highest steepest hillside and back down to fall across the finish line was a killer!

I recommend a dry towel and dry change of clothes at the end waiting for you because I couldn't keep warm afterwards. Training-wise I would prepare my run better by sprinkling in challenges like a par course. Get used to covering unstable terrain & scaling overhead obstacles while tired. One of the toughest obstacles was 2 highbars, one at 7-feet, one at 9-feet that you had to get up on the low bar and then climb over the higher bar. I saw many people stall there and then just bypass.

I see there are 2 races scheduled here in CA next year. Looks fun.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
James R. Climer

Profile:

Oh yeah, the Volkslauf was special because it was the local USMC reserve's Toys for Tots kickoff, so you have the distinct pleasure of getting 'help' shot into your ear by a genuine DI sound voice (a voice that is inhuman, a sort of gravel-throated gargling broken glass and Janis Joplin with volume knob turned up to 'Eleven') if you were holding up the line. At the same time, there's nothing more inspiring than recognition of top effort by one of those guys, calling out your bib number.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Louis Hayes

Profile:

A group of us planning on the Midwest in Joliet, IL.
http://warriordash.com/register2010_midwest.php WFS
Old 12-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Climer View Post
I ran the Bakersfield, CA 'Volkslauf' in 2008 with a group of fellow irononliners, we ran the 10k length. It was fun to say the least, the course included a 1/4-mile mud trench that got as deep as mid-thigh, where maximum gravel pickup in my shoes occurred, (I recommend you find a shoe that minimizes this unplesant attribute - carrying that mess for four miles is tough on the soles), definitely wear footie type socks to minize the weight accumulation.

The best part was the free beer midway through the course, the worst was the obstacle-packed last mile that had the effect of a 1-mile sprint. I stayed with my group which was paced by the slowest runner, so it felt like a warmup run for me. Boy was I in for a surprise to find out how drained I was when my legs locked up crossing a log bridge and I almost fell into the muck trench. The up & over followed by ducking under followed by climbing up then back down muddy, slick hills was exhausting. The end obstacle was a 50-meter long mud pool with 8-feet deep muddy water. Swimming through getting kicked in the face the whole time and then crawling out up the highest steepest hillside and back down to fall across the finish line was a killer!

I recommend a dry towel and dry change of clothes at the end waiting for you because I couldn't keep warm afterwards. Training-wise I would prepare my run better by sprinkling in challenges like a par course. Get used to covering unstable terrain & scaling overhead obstacles while tired. One of the toughest obstacles was 2 highbars, one at 7-feet, one at 9-feet that you had to get up on the low bar and then climb over the higher bar. I saw many people stall there and then just bypass.

I see there are 2 races scheduled here in CA next year. Looks fun.
James, thanks for the tips. Luckily, the race is in May, so it should be pretty warm here. I'm thinking of some type of river runner shoe for the race since it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time on slippery, water-logged terrain. There aren't any obstacle courses near me to train on, but there is a trail near my house. I thought I could run the trail at 800m intervals stop and do burpees, sandbag C&Js, and tuck jumps. I also plan to just climb all over the play structure at the park with my daughter. The park is about a 1/4 mile from my house so I could practice running to the park and then seeing how fast I can climb from one side of the playscape to the other then running back home again, rinse & repeat. If anyone else has some suggestions please post here. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
Matthew Powell

Profile:

I hadn't heard of this, but I think I might do the TX race.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Marissa Owens

Profile:

I'm in the process of getting some of my old college teammates (rowers) to do the one in NY next September. Looks awesome.