CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Sam Glass Jr.

Profile:
What Was The Toughest...?

Hey, yet another nooB here...Actually BEYOND that, since I don't even start my first intro class at the local box until a week from today. I already know that my diet is utter crap, and that will be the next thing to take into consideration...after seeing if I can make it through my first 30 days of CF first! I'm not even THINKING of going Paleo until I reach that milestone. But just to get a feel for what it's going to be like, can anybody tell me what the toughest thing was for you to give up while doing Paleo?

I would say a good 40-50% of my current diet comes from grains and dairy. I supplement my "three squares" a day with protein shakes as snacks as much as possible, and I cannot tolerate those without using lowfat or fat-free milk as a mixer. I have yet to find the brand of powder that doesn't taste like @$$ and library paste mixed together if you only use water. And I always use vanilla fat-free yogurt as a standby, mixed with frozen blueberries and sliced almonds as a substitute.

But GRAINS are my main weakness. I am a "self-identified BREAD-a-holic" and a pastry addict...who also BAKES. (Bad combo). It's dangerous for me to go too long without eating, because I will sit down and polish off four slices of 12-grain or flax-and-whole wheat bread, slathered with all-natural peanut butter and apple butter without even thinking about it, downing that with an "economy-sized" bucket of coffee, creamer and Truvia.

Not looking forward to the day I have to surrender all of that, but hopefully I can do it with some solid support from other members of "BREAD-a-holics Not-So-Anonymous." Any of my peeps out there?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
CJ Ryan Harris

Profile:
Re: What Was The Toughest...?

I used to think the same thing, and for the longest time of doing CrossFit I didn't pay any attention to diet.

I started to look at diet when i wanted better performance. Start with CrossFit, then after a little while when that becomes part of your routine, then start working on your diet.

To do both all at once chances are is going to be overload. However, if losing weight and being healthy is your main concern you need to look at your diet.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I used to think I'd miss bread, but I slowly phased it out and don't even notice it's gone now. I went from making sandwiches to making burritos, wraps, and quesadillas with whole grain, low-net carb tortillas, then realized that the bread or wrap wasn't what made it good--it was the stuff I put in there. Shrimp, chicken, steak, sausage, etc...that's the good stuff, not the grains. So I just started throwing the meat on top of spinach, broccoli, or spaghetti squash instead of feeling the need to wrap it in grains.

I recently dropped all dairy too...I'd quit drinking milk about 4 months ago but still ate cheese and cottage cheese, but I haven't really missed them either. I just eat another "real" meal of meat and vegetables to replace the cottage cheese and fruit I used to eat, and put coconut milk in my coffee instead of whipping cream. Coffee is fine within moderation and as long as you don't add too many calories to it in the form of cream and sugar, but too much caffeine can boost cortisol levels and make it harder to burn fat. I still drink two or three 16oz cups per day so that's probably in the upper end of what's a good amount.

I'd recommend going ahead and starting Paleo at the same time you're starting CF--and don't think of it as a diet, think of it as part of changing your whole lifestyle. Eating good will compound the good effects you see from doing CF.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Mike Mallory

Profile:

once you get the idea pounded into your head long enough that bread is a total non-food, and you hear over and over how destructive it is......and then once you get a good FEEL for how destructive it is, then it slowly fades away.

Go cold turkey for a week or two, then go eat a big pancake breakfast with extra syrup..........You'll feel like such garbage that you won't even want it anymore.

I gave it up a few years ago and havne't looked back. Eventually you realize its just a filler food. I don't even have the slightest desire for it anymore.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
once you get the idea pounded into your head long enough that bread is a total non-food, and you hear over and over how destructive it is......and then once you get a good FEEL for how destructive it is, then it slowly fades away.

Go cold turkey for a week or two, then go eat a big pancake breakfast with extra syrup..........You'll feel like such garbage that you won't even want it anymore.

I gave it up a few years ago and havne't looked back. Eventually you realize its just a filler food. I don't even have the slightest desire for it anymore.
I have a BIG soft spot for freshly baked, still warm from the oven french bread or dinner rolls. I could probably eat an entire baguette if i let myself.

regular loaves of wonderbread and the like? i totally don't miss it. (except when thinking about an old school grilled cheese sammich...then i get a craving for wonderbread...but it passes)
Old 12-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
John C Corona

Profile:

I feel yah, baked goods, donuts, omg. Croissants have to be the best/worst invention ever. But surprisingly I don't miss then that much either. I did exactly what Eric did. Switch to wraps, I've tried them all, some good, some suck. Heat them up in a frying pan, get 'em crispy, great! Eventually made the same realization that you can throw all the stuff on a bed of greens.

Another thing I've heard about is to eliminate 'whatever' for breakfast only for a week....or dinner only for week. This will help you realize you can make and eat great meals without it.

Coffee - I eliminated the cream one creamer at a time, down to half a creamer, then none. I actually put more sugar in it during that phase. Then I slowly removed the sugar till I was drinking it black. The better the coffee, the easier it is to drink black. Then I replaced coffee with hot tea, then to decaf. And now I don't do any hot drinks at all.

It sounds like snacks might be your issue. You need to prepare yourself, and carry fruits around with you, or prep meals to bring to work, etc... Whats that saying...prepare to fail, failure to prepare...something like that.

I'd say start these experiments now. But the will power does come easier once you start hitting the workouts hardcore. You tend to feel like you worked so hard in the gym, why take steps backwards with a bad diet.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
John Jaeckel

Profile:

All the things I've had to eliminate (or severely restrict):

1) grains
2) sugar
3) dairy (including cheese)
4) alcohol

I haven't found any harder than the other.

For me, the hard part is finding appropriate replacements when I'm hungry. i have a wife (who does most of the shopping) and three kids who are non-Paleo. I run a business and I'm constantly busy, eating out, etc.

I have to be fair with myself and honest with you: I have eliminated alcohol (totally) for the time being. I would say I've reduced my sugar intake by 60-70%. I would say I've reduced my dairy consumption by 60-70%. and I've eliminated about 80-90% of grains.

There are Paleo fanatics on here who, fortunately for them, can go 100% Paleo, 100% of the time. And I salute them. My advice to you would be to do what you can, be honest with yourself—don't fool yourself, and keep optimizing as you go along. You don't want to overwhelm yourself because you hate it at first, or get discouraged because you keep failing to be 100% Paleo.

And, BTW, it works. I started CF on August 15, and went "quasi-Paleo" on September 15 or so, and I've lost 20 pounds, my skin is much healthier and I'm much stronger.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
Angela Huizenga

Profile:

If you would have asked me 5 months ago if I would ever see myself giving up grains, pasta, etc I would have said absolutely not! Once you give it up and realize how much better you feel though, you won't go back. I have heard the same of dairy, but I still do chocolate milk, an an occasional cheese or cottage cheese. I do miss the convenience of making a sandwich for lunch though! or a grilled cheese...mmmmm.

Everyone has different views on what is paleo and what is not--I'm not that hardcore. If it grows from the ground or walks around I eat it. I guess I don't follow the science behind a lot the forbidden foods. It's overwhelming at first when you learn of all the things you should avoid, like bananas, grapes, pineapple, peanuts, high glycemic veggies (corn, peas, carrots, squash, etc). If I'm craving any of these things, I just do it in moderation.

Do what works for you in regard to changing your diet--some people have to cut all ties cold turkey, others have to slowly remove. You will feel the changes more dramatically if you just cut it out. Welcome, and good luck!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Don't think of it as having to "give up" anything.....as once you choose foods for "health", you no longer really want some of the older choices you used to make.

So you occasionally eat a pizza or have a beer....so what. Results come even if you aren't perfect...and it can be a bit more fun that way.

In the end, eat mainly whole real foods for health and don't beat yourself up if you are not 100% perfect. When you choose health as a lifestyle (and the foods that help it), the body just burns fat more efficiently anyways....funny how that happens.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
John Jaeckel

Profile:

On the "do" side:

- bags of almonds
- apples
- salmon burger patties from Costco
- wild game, if you can get your hands on it
- wild caught fish (versus farmed)
- fresh water

(there are many more, but the first three are my main "convenience" Paleo foods)