CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Pat McElhone

Profile:
Barry Sears CF Nutrition Cert

This maybe closed fast, but if he really is giving this cert, I would love for someone to ask him the following question.

Why the 3:4 Protien(P) to Carbs(C)? I read Enter the Zone (who else has actually read it?) and all I found was too much protein will cause insulin levels to rise too much. I read this as a 3:4 P:C ratio is better at controlling insulin then a 4:1 (or 10:1) P:C ratio. Does he still believe this....15yeas after he wrote Enter the Zone? Said anther way, a diet that is 40% Carbs, 30% Protein and 30% fat is better at controlling insulin (and thus the inflamation cascade that follows) then a diet that is 40% Fat, 50% Pro, 10% Carbs.

This is important to me because it is the basis for the entire 40/30/30 "zone" ratios, but it does not make any sense to me. I read the book, tried to find out exactly how he (Dr. Sears) came up with 40/30/30 and the above paraphrase is all I actually found. He did in other parts state it was not based on research, but rather his intuition and observation.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Barry Sears CF Nutrition Cert

I'm sure this thread will be closed any second now so I'll just post this link and leave you to come to your own conclusions.

The Zone Diet Phenomenon: A Closer Look at the Science behind the Claims. (wfs)

Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Stephen Lewis Romer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McElhone View Post
This maybe closed fast, but if he really is giving this cert, I would love for someone to ask him the following question.

Why the 3:4 Protien(P) to Carbs(C)? I read Enter the Zone (who else has actually read it?) and all I found was too much protein will cause insulin levels to rise too much. I read this as a 3:4 P:C ratio is better at controlling insulin then a 4:1 (or 10:1) P:C ratio. Does he still believe this....15yeas after he wrote Enter the Zone? Said anther way, a diet that is 40% Carbs, 30% Protein and 30% fat is better at controlling insulin (and thus the inflamation cascade that follows) then a diet that is 40% Fat, 50% Pro, 10% Carbs.

This is important to me because it is the basis for the entire 40/30/30 "zone" ratios, but it does not make any sense to me. I read the book, tried to find out exactly how he (Dr. Sears) came up with 40/30/30 and the above paraphrase is all I actually found. He did in other parts state it was not based on research, but rather his intuition and observation.
We all have been civil but these threads keep getting closed. Must be another reason these threads keep getting closed.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Lewis Romer View Post
We all have been civil but these threads keep getting closed. Must be another reason these threads keep getting closed.
uh...i'm not sure which thread you were participating in, but the one that you started was getting increasingly snarky and past "civil."

that's why they keep getting closed.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Lewis Romer View Post
You guys want to talk about something you know maybe 1% of the story, perhaps this is why we are not allowed to discuss such things. It is not constructive dialogue if the parties within the discussion don't know the WHOLE subject. period.

We all only know about 1 side of the story, and it will remain like this. CFHQ as an organization doesn;t have to justify each and all of their decision, even less inform us all of what have happened BEFORE that 1% of the story we know.
Perhaps the other 99% of the story would put things in perspective, perhaps it wouldn't. We dont and we will not know.

As for why not eating more protein than the 40% prescribed, protein poisoning is a real and serious issue, can severly damage couple of your organs and is far more dangerous than eating too much carbs or fat.

Now I AM NOT a zone follower, never implemented and might never implement it as I do not intend to be competitive anymore, but remember that there is 42 way to skin the zone, all based first on protein intake and then various other proportions of CARBS and FAT in other to better suit your needs.

Y'all need to be a bit more open minded about all this....

Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Stephen Lewis Romer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
uh...i'm not sure which thread you were participating in, but the one that you started was getting increasingly snarky and past "civil."

that's why they keep getting closed.
Well maybe it is just me but I saw some tough opinions but I did not see any uncivil behavior. As far as snarky well I have seem much more snark in other threads still open but not talking about the firing of Robb Wolf.

Some of these threads have been closed before they had any comments. Check out pukies bucket.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

To expand upon what Frederic touched on, your body does not have a function for storing excess protein. Any protein that your body does not use gets broken down into carbohydrate and fatty acids. This process creates byproducts, including high levels of nitrogen, which over time can put a lot of strain on certain organs, primarily the kidneys.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

With Dr. Sears coming on board as the lead instructor at CF nutrition certs, one of the big concerns that comes to my mind is whether or not these courses will remain focused on nutrition, or are people paying 250 clams to hear a day-long Zone pitch?

Contrary to a comment posted on a different thread, I don't think a biochemist can automatically be called a nutritionist. Dr. Sears has accomplished a great deal of work on dialing in a Zone Diet, which focuses on consuming proper portions of macronutrients that will instigate desired hormonal response to minimize or eliminate insulin spikes. However, from what I can garner after reading "Enter the Zone" a gazillion times, his program focuses on quantity of foods and not quantity, i.e. fat is fat is fat, and whether or not its saturated or unsaturated doesn't really matter because the proper amount of fat (along with proteins and carbs) will prevent inflammation and insulin spikes. This is definitely not the nutritionist's point of view. I'm not saying that Dr. Sears advocates non-healthy eating habits, but the Zone Diet doesn't focus on freshness, sources, and organic nature of foods...like a nutritionist would.

So, I guess that's the big question: Will people be attending a Zone Diet certification or a nutrition certification?

Old 11-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
To expand upon what Frederic touched on, your body does not have a function for storing excess protein. Any protein that your body does not use gets broken down into carbohydrate and fatty acids. This process creates byproducts, including high levels of nitrogen, which over time can put a lot of strain on certain organs, primarily the kidneys.
There is only "strain" if you don't hydrate enough or if you have a prior existing condition.

High protein intake is safe, otherwise. This is like saying creatine puts excessive stress on the kidneys which it doesn't... unless you don't drink enough water or have a prior kidney issue.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Stephen Lewis Romer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Giraud View Post
You guys want to talk about something you know maybe 1% of the story, perhaps this is why we are not allowed to discuss such things. It is not constructive dialogue if the parties within the discussion don't know the WHOLE subject. period.

We all only know about 1 side of the story, and it will remain like this. CFHQ as an organization doesn;t have to justify each and all of their decision, even less inform us all of what have happened BEFORE that 1% of the story we know.
Perhaps the other 99% of the story would put things in perspective, perhaps it wouldn't. We dont and we will not know.

As for why not eating more protein than the 40% prescribed, protein poisoning is a real and serious issue, can severly damage couple of your organs and is far more dangerous than eating too much carbs or fat.

Now I AM NOT a zone follower, never implemented and might never implement it as I do not intend to be competitive anymore, but remember that there is 42 way to skin the zone, all based first on protein intake and then various other proportions of CARBS and FAT in other to better suit your needs.

Y'all need to be a bit more open minded about all this....
Maybe I know more than you or maybe don't, but why does not CFHQ release an official statement to clear the matter up? Paying for Robb Wolf and getting Barry Sears is a real problem for many in the Crossfit Community.

Closed Thread