CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Frank Tardi

Profile:
bumper plates + iron plates???

I am looking into buying some bumper plates however, I only wanna invest in a pair of 45s... Is it ok to use a pair of 45 lb bumper plates with a pair of 45lb iron plates? The guy at the store told me not to do this, however, I feel like he was just trying to sell me on buying more. Now I believe his argument cuz I once thought about it before I went into the store... That is, the iron would tear apart the rubber when dropping them after cleans. Would love some advice! thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:
Re: bumper plates + iron plates???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tardi View Post
I am looking into buying some bumper plates however, I only wanna invest in a pair of 45s... Is it ok to use a pair of 45 lb bumper plates with a pair of 45lb iron plates? The guy at the store told me not to do this, however, I feel like he was just trying to sell me on buying more. Now I believe his argument cuz I once thought about it before I went into the store... That is, the iron would tear apart the rubber when dropping them after cleans. Would love some advice! thanks!
Hi Frank.

The rule of thumb is that you can have ONE iron plate per side, and it can't weigh more than the heaviest bumper plate you have on the bar.

So, you could theoretically put a 45 lb bumper and a 45 lb iron plate on each side to get 225 lbs on the bar.

That is a lot of impact on the hub of the bumper. I would tend to try to control the drop if I were you.

The better bet is to limit yourself to a 25 lb iron plate on each side, if you plan on dropping the bar. This isn't a problem in the slow lifts, but be careful on the Olympic lifts.

The Hi-Temp 45 lb plates are pretty wide and could probably handle the impact okay, even with a 45 lb iron plate. I would be leery of doing that with the MHTY variants out there, however. I am just not convinced of their long-term durability, especially under those circumstances.

One final note - check the diameter of the bumper plates (45 lb plates) before you decide to go this route. Some plates are a bit undersized (eg. the Hi-Temps are actually a little smaller in diameter than the nominal 450 mm) and this will cause your iron plates to hit the ground, especially as the rubber compresses under the drop. Just another reason to limit yourself to a 25 lb iron plate (or maybe a 35 lb iron plate) on each side.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
brittf
Old 10-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Like Robert said, general rule of thumb is you do not want as much iron change on the bar as there is bumpers. Also, in weightlifting there are 10kg metal plates, rare to find since 10kg bumpers were made, but that is the heaviest piece of change you will find and can put on a bar. After that you want to put a bumper on instead. I actually would prefer to put 10kg iron on instead of a bumper, IMO.

Also, make sure the iron plates are not going to bounce up and down all over the sleeve. This could cause some hardcore damage on the collar if you are not careful.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

having bumpers and metal 45's will trash the floor as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Jay Adams

Profile:

I use Hi-Temp bumpers with iron all the time. I don't toss off loads unless I need to. I know allot of guys just drop everything. If you do the mix may not be for you. My bars, plates and floor are all fine. I like the feels and sounds with iron, and the way it sits on the bar. May be mental, but it's how it is for me. Bumpers out to the end on deads look *** to me and it just dosen't seem right.