CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Martin Balakas

Profile:
Proportionality of CFT Scores

Newbie venturing into the "big boys pool" with my first post here....asked a similar question in the Starting forum, but didn't get any response....apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, or already been answered.

One of the tenents of CF is functional, full body strength (no big chest with pencil legs!). That being said, is there a ratio that can be used to determine a full body "balance". I feel like my DL and BS weights are WAAAAYY higher than my Press. Intuitively, that screams muscle imbalance. But I don't have anything to compare it too, so I may be way off base.

I know that you are using different muscle groups, and the DL and BS SHOULD be higher....but what is the goal ratio that would indicate a good upper body/lower body strength balance?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:
Re: Proportionality of CFT Scores

please take a look at this:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf
w/f safe
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 06-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
Martin Balakas

Profile:

PERFECT Alexander.....thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Sometimes it pays to just jump in the deep end.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

the link given is an excellent resource of course. Rip also has generalization that people should aim for 500 dead, 400 squat, 300 bench, 200 press. While many of us are nowhere near that absolute strength level, you can still use the 5/4/3/2 ratio to see how "proportional" you are.

I found that my personal PRs of 315/270/185/125 came out pretty close to that.

the people who should be worried about overall muscle imbalance are the ones who say something like "my lifts are 400 dead, 400 squat, 350 bench, 200 press... why is my bench lagging????" I see it all the time.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Kinda funny, Jared but those were my goals for all the lifts though I never have heard Rip say that.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

I'm at (this is a guess) 475, 275, 230, 150, so I don't fit the 5/4/3/2 ratio. You're not alone, in other words.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

Many of those proportionalities vary in terms of what you do, or the context of your training/goals.

The only qualititative measure I've heard (at least recently) is that your OH press should be 60% of your bench, and that was from a powerlifting context. It sounds like a reasonable measure provided you train both consistently but then again PLers don't train ovh exclusively usually only as a supplement for bench.

As for Squat/Dead there's also many variables. For most beginners/intermediates the dead will always be higher than the squat (provided its not a sissy quarter squat -> need standardization). Of course if you get into equipped lifting you'll see squats over a grand with pulls of only ~750 (hah, only 750). But thats out of raw strength context and what we do here. I think the only time the DL gets beat out by the squat is when grip becomes the limiting factor, and for most people pulling under 600 this isnt the case.

The 5-4-3-2 is a very broad but decent relative measure. Its about right for me with 475-425-300-190. But for most lifters they have cycles of "good" lifts where say the squat is kicking but but the bench or dead might be lagging, or any combo. I think the 5-4-3-2 is a good END measure for relative success.

That said, if one lift is blowing the others out of the water you should work on the weaknesses of the currently "bad" lifts but by all means make your "good" lifts better.

Also in the context of CF if youre following MP WOD's then your bench might be lagging. In the ~6 months I've been on this sight I've never seen a 1RM bench. Nothing wrong with this, but in terms of 5-4-3-2 for 1RMs it might be off.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Higgins View Post
The only qualititative measure I've heard (at least recently) is that your OH press should be 60% of your bench, and that was from a powerlifting context.
FWIW, Rip has suggested a 65% ratio here, that I try to stick to since I have shoulder issues. Conveniently, that fits in pretty well with the 5/4/3/2 numbers that I'm working on as well.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

My PR's are: 355/275/225/125

So as you can see my proportions are crazy off.