CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
muscle gain for endomorphs

aka "I want to gain some muscle but I don't want to be a fat boy again"

It seems like most of the protocol for gaining muscle in these boards is aimed more for the ectomorphs, the hardgainers. I've been searching the boards and people are instructed to do things like GOMAD and/or eat A LOT of good, clean foods.

When coupled w/crossfit, that seems like a great way for a skinny guy to pack on some muscle. He'd gain some fat as well but he'd probably be able to drop it fairly easily.

However, if I did GOMAD in addition to my 16 Zone blocks, I'd look like E.Honda from Street Fighter 2 minus the cool face paint. It's takes a lot of discipline and sacrifice for me to get lean [which I'm doing] and it would really be a pain in the *** to back track.

Now I realize that in order to gain a lot of muscle, one has to accept some fat gain. And from what I understand, a sacrifice must be made. Either try to recomp where I'll lose fat and gain muscle but I'll be doing both at a very slow rate. Or eat just above maintenance [not nearly as much as a hardainer] in which I'll gain a fairly decent amount of muscle w/minimal fat gains that won't be too hard to take off.

What are your thoughts? I know there has to be some endomorphs out there who want or have wanted to pack on lean mass at some point.

What if I keep my Zone Paleo diet of 16 blocks but just add a pint of milk post wod? So instead of GOMAD it's POMAD
Old 09-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: muscle gain for endomorphs

Just titrate the amount of food up until you start gaining muscle
Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

If you want to keep zoning you could just add 5 blocks and adjust from there. It's the "gold standard" according to the Mass Gain article. A pint is 2 blocks + whatever multiple of fat it is depending on the relative skimness. You could also start there. I remember in a CFJ article from Lon Kilgore, he recommended starting with simply 8 oz. post-workout and take it from there. However, you'd like to do it.

As far as calories, I've heard ramping 500 kcal at a time and then taking stock of the situation is the safest bet.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:  

How about adding 5x5 heavy squats?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Oh yeah, it's going to take a legit strength program to add a significant amount of muscle mass. Doing extraneous activity, such as CF metcons, is contraindicated. Unless you are a rank beginner, it's pretty impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Pick a goal and stick with it.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
Oh yeah, it's going to take a legit strength program to add a significant amount of muscle mass. Doing extraneous activity, such as CF metcons, is contraindicated. Unless you are a rank beginner, it's pretty impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Pick a goal and stick with it.
So as far as workout goes, do you suggest something like SS or maybe CFSB? I'm OK w/not losing fat. As long as I don't gain any significant fat while I'm gaining muscle.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
Randy Hill

Profile:

I might get bashed for this but you could do a split hypertrophy/strength program. This is what I have been looking at lately. And it's not all non-functional either. There is some merit to 2x10 squats, DB presses, etc. as long as you stay away from machines.

I am looking at Layne Norton's hybrid Strength/Hypertrophy program.

I modified it a bit for functional mass' sake and came up with this:

Sunday - Upper body strength (3x5 or 5x5)

Monday - Lower body hypertrophy (2x10)

Tuesday - OFF

Wednesday - Upper body hypertrophy (4x10)

Thursday - Lower body strength (3x5 or 5x5)

fri/sat - off

PM me if you're interested.. I haven't started yet but plan to soon.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

If you haven't exhausted linear progression, I would do that first: Starting Strength.
If you are an intermediate to advanced lifter, I would do CFSB, one of the 5x5 programs, Wendler 5/3/1, etc.

There is also Mass Gain and Mass (A)Gain programs on the Performance Menu website. They include more Oly movements, and they also feature a complete guide to nutrition. I would go with Mass (A)Gain because it's an update to the previous article.

Avoiding fat gain is mostly a matter of dialing in the right level of calories. You can also play around with shifting your carbs PWO in the form of sweet potatoes or other such food, or go for a cyclic low carb plan.

Last edited by Ben Moskowitz : 09-09-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
Camille Lore

Profile:  

It's hard, but not impossible. I've done it. I currently do CF +5x5 squats once a week and 5 rounds of hill sprints once a week. My squat has gone up 20lbs in about 2 months. My legs are bigger, I weigh the same and my body composition is changing. That's my program and the only changes I'm making is to add a another set of sprints each week.
Maybe I'm a fluke, but it's working and my programming comes from a proven source.