CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Claude M Crowe

Profile:
Crossfit College Students

The thing I blamed for my lack of proper diet and exercise before was school.
I told myself things like "I should be studying", or "missing one workout wont hurt". Next thing I knew I never stepped foot in the gym and ate horribly.

I may be wrong, but I feel that people who say they don't have time for exercise need to reevaluate their priorities. I want to start this thread as a kind of support group for college student who also want to be Crossfit. I know it's not the easiest thing in the world to balance exercise, studying, and your social lives, but it can be done.

I'm currently enrolled in the pre-radiologic technology program at the University of Louisiana at Monroe. I am definitely no math wiz, but three of pre-reqs for getting into the professional program are Trigonometry and two physics courses.

I want this thread to be about college students posting their successes in school as well as Crossfit. It can be done, so lets show them what we are made of!

Study hard, Crossfit hard, Play hard!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Adolfo Riveron

Profile:
Re: Crossfit College Students

I crossfit 4-5 times a week and go to Georgia Tech as a business major. My diet isnt as good as it should be but i try my hardest with a fraternity meal plan. I try to make up for it on weekends i go home or to my girlfriends condo and i have cut back drinking to both be healthier and save money.

Sometimes it gets tough, especially because i work two jobs but i always seem to be able to make time to work out.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Chadron Edwards

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude M Crowe View Post
I feel that people who say they don't have time for exercise need to reevaluate their priorities.
I could not agree with you more. Lots of people say that they don't have time to work out, when they really should be saying "I would rather spend my time doing something other than working out."

The result is the same, but at least this way they're not lying to you.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadron Edwards View Post
I could not agree with you more. Lots of people say that they don't have time to work out, when they really should be saying "I would rather spend my time doing something other than working out."

The result is the same, but at least this way they're not lying to you.
Hey, I can't come down too hard. I was one of those people till not so long ago. Having to work, go to school, work out, and study can be brutal, but hey, like my high school coach used to say "you have to use a lot of different muscles to pick up heavy things.....like girls"!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
David Vessey

Profile:

I had that attitude for a couple of years during university. It's really easy to justify when you're taking an engineering degree at RMC (Royal Military College - Canada's service academy), we always had a ton of homework on top of the military part of school. I'd hit the gym in spurts, going for a few days a week for about a month, then school work would pile up and I'd stop.

I finally kicked myself in the arse in third year(2006) and started following the dot com WODs. I won't claim to have done strict 3 on 1 off all the time, but I'd hit the gym between 3-6 times per week. However, I can now pull off 30 MUs in 5:32, and my average Fran time is about 6:00. Academically, I maintained top marks in my program, took on an ambitious design project (and kicked it's a**), and ended up graduating top in my program last spring. Militarily, I was a section commander then flight leader of the first year flight (in second semester) of third and fourth year, respectively.

Enough tooting my horn here - my point is that I don't really buy the "I'm too busy with school/life to get to the gym", especially with a program like CrossFit that literally takes next to zero thought and minimal time at the gym.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vessey View Post
Enough tooting my horn here - my point is that I don't really buy the "I'm too busy with school/life to get to the gym", especially with a program like CrossFit that literally takes next to zero thought and minimal time at the gym.
That's what drew me to CrossFit in the first place. I used to go to a gym for probably and hour a day when I was "in shape" last. On average, CrossFit workouts are what...20, 30 minutes? Who doesn't have that much time? Keeping a good diet.....little tougher.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
David Vessey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude M Crowe View Post
That's what drew me to CrossFit in the first place. I used to go to a gym for probably and hour a day when I was "in shape" last. On average, CrossFit workouts are what...20, 30 minutes? Who doesn't have that much time? Keeping a good diet.....little tougher.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. My diet still isn't dialed in. It's zone'ish, sometimes, for whatever that counts.

Whacks self with motivation stick

I just like beer and wings too much
Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
James Compora

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vessey View Post
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. My diet still isn't dialed in. It's zone'ish, sometimes, for whatever that counts.

Whacks self with motivation stick

I just like beer and wings too much
same problem. Its hard to say no to the fire academy guys after class to go to buffalo wild wings
Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Cool thread.

I'm at Fordham University in NYC, studying computer science. This upcoming semester I'm studying at AUC in Egypt, just for the spring though.

Achieving a high level of fitness is paramount for my career goal, so I consider my CF training just as important as my classes. I've found a good balance.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Compora View Post
same problem. Its hard to say no to the fire academy guys after class to go to buffalo wild wings
OMG, please don't mention wings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Cool thread.

I'm at Fordham University in NYC, studying computer science. This upcoming semester I'm studying at AUC in Egypt, just for the spring though.

Achieving a high level of fitness is paramount for my career goal, so I consider my CF training just as important as my classes. I've found a good balance.
That's great that you've found a balance. I've actually been trying to do less in each day. Overloading yourself with to many goals is a surefire recipe for failure.

Quick question if you don't mind, how is a high level of fitness paramount to Computer Science? Sounds like an interesting story.