CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
Chad K. James

Profile:
Hi everyone, I am thinking about joining CrossFit...but before I dive into it I have decided to sign on my son's account and ask an important question that has been bothering me about the system.

If I follow each days WOD, I feel as though I will sometimes work the same muscle group 2 days in a row - not allowing it time to rest/rebuild?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
You're referring to the "myth" that you shouldn't exercise multiple body parts in a row then.

Basically it all comes down to managing fatigue. Someone that can barely do 10 pullups is going to have trouble and will probably hit a pretty big overreaching state if asked to do 2 workouts with lots of pullups 2 days in a row. That's why there's scaling like BrandX.

However, someone who can normally do 100 pullups should have no problem at all. Both workouts will probably not do as much cumulative damage to the muscles to the point where extra rest is needed even though fatigue accumulate. This is where you get your olympic athletes like weightlifters and gymnasts practicing 5-6x a week multiple times a day because their strength and conditioning is not enough to break down their bodies such that they need extra rest days.

Therefore, if you're feeling like crap after a second or third workout, you'll probably need to scale. If you feel fine heading into the rest day then you'll know your body's muscles and recovery ability are enough to handle the stressors of the WOD.

If you want to read more about managing fatigue I'll give you a few links.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:
I work the same exercises multiple days in a row if I can. I just try not to do so much that those muscles are broken down the next day.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Corey Duvall

Profile:
I think Steven is right on, but here is my story as well. I initially wondered the same thing when I first started crossfit. When I started the WOD's I was able to perform a majority of them as rx'd in a reasonable amount of time. While at first it didn't seem like I should be working the same groups multiple days in a row I noticed that I still increased in strength without the normal "rest" day that I would take in a body-builder routine. I now realize that I am usually working the same muscles in different ways, so that I am actually getting, what feels to me, as different workouts and results. If scaling is necessary, please do so, but you WILL progress. Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
Joshua Marcum

Profile:
One of the big things to remember is that the training philosophy you are referring to is built off the assumption that you are only training one or two muscle groups at a time like in your typical split routine. The movements that you will typically see in CF are so broad that it has been my experience, the 5 to 7 day rest periods between working the same muscle groups are no where near necessary for progress to be seen. Not even in the novice clients. So Mr. Jame in short give it a go for about a 2 months there is a strong chance you will find yourself in the best shape of your life. Good luck
Old 07-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Chad K. James

Profile:
Thanks for all the input! Sounds like Crossfit will be a definite change from the normal lifting schedules I've been exposed to. I am ready for a change and looking forward to diving in. Tomorrow will be my day 1. I'll get my own account "rjbladeoh" and no longer use my son's. Thanks again. It is a real plus to know there are so many knowledgable people willing to help!
Old 07-29-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Glad to have you. And yes, there's a billion and one people on here willing to help, usually within a few hours (sometimes a few minutes) you'll have some sort of answer.

And remember, when starting, ease into crossfit. It's more intense than most people realize, check up on the "Start Here" link on the main page, it's got good tips on what to do when you're starting out.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
Roark Marsh

Profile:
I'd have to agree with Corey and say that when it looks like you're hitting the same muscles twice it really is in different ways.

The thing that I found really useful in terms of understanding crossfit recovery was energy pathways. There's no way you'll be doing two heavy leg days in a row, but you may be doing a light weight metcon workout after a crossfit total, or heavy o-lifting. They stress different ways of using the same muscles, and so even if one system is taxed from a 5 or 10K, you can still lift heavy the next day.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
Gant Grimes

Profile:

You signed in to your son's account? That, sir, is a violation of the Terms of Service. The constable will be at your door within the hours.

Just kidding. It's common to look at this program and think "you want me to do how many reps? how many days in a row? pullups? #*@$?" It's common for your body to feel like it's in shock for a couple weeks. It's common not to be able to do more than a couple pullups at first.

And, at least for me, it's common to fear upcoming workouts. I've avoided Linda so far, but she's finally caught up with me. I'm off to the gym. 315. 210. 157.5. Nice knowing y'all.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Welcome to the party! :banana:

The only other intelligent thing I can say is read the "Start here," "FAQ," the free issue of the Journal, and watch as many demos as your computer will handle. Not that you haven't already, but they help a lot. It may seem like a lot, but a piece here and there will increase your understanding in good sized chunks. Use the Brandx scaling system, too.