CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Jeremy Crone

Profile:
3 weeks in not loosing weight!?

I was relatively workout active prior to CrossFit (weight training, some cardio and martial arts). Have been trying to lean down and drop some weight. CrossFit has been amazing as far as shaping my body is concerned even after only three weeks. However, I am not dropping any weight. I am 35 6-2 255. Lineman build and a little thick.

My diet consists of about 50% carbs 50% protien with very little sugars. Can't figure out why I'm not dropping weight. I'm working my butt off! Wanting to get down to about 220-230lbs.

If anyone has any insight or suggestions - it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers, Diesel_Sled
Old 09-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
Carina Ricciardi

Profile:
Re: 3 weeks in not loosing weight!?

How much fat do you eat? I've learned....through Robb Wolfe's Nutrition cert and trial and error....its all about the fat. Try logging into fitday, and see the percents. Zoners and Xfitters/Athletes should be about 40-60% fat. Everyone is wired differently and you may want to play around with your carbs, which ones (ie quality) and how much.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
David Miller

Profile:

Jeremy,
Sounds like your protein is in a decent spot....I would cut some carbs and eat a lot more fat.....Fat gets a bad rap but it's not the enemy.....bad carbs are the enemy.....where are most of your carbs coming from? If it's from pasta's and breads and sugars (which are often hiding and you might not realize how much you're taking in) then try getting most, if not all, of your carbs from vegetables......also keep in mind that the scale isn't the best gauge of your progress.....take a picture and compare it with an old one and do this every couple of weeks to see the visible transformation you're making.....

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
Jeremy Crone

Profile:

Eating primarily lean meat and my carbs have come from pasta and grains...I love Italian food. Will switch to veggies for carbs and increase fat intake. Will see how that goes.
Thanks for the input.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Crone View Post
Eating primarily lean meat and my carbs have come from pasta and grains...I love Italian food. Will switch to veggies for carbs and increase fat intake. Will see how that goes.
Thanks for the input.
Who doesn't love Italian food, I know I do. But that's the reason why you have lost no weight. Eating primarily vegetables and fruit makes a huge difference. For fat, eat anything: olive oil, butter, nuts, lard, animal fat, bacon, the list goes on forever... report back in two weeks after changing your eating habits.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
Anthony DiSarro

Profile:

you drop that pasta and grains and go with as much veggies as you can get your hands on and you'll lean out.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Crone View Post
I was relatively workout active prior to CrossFit (weight training, some cardio and martial arts). Have been trying to lean down and drop some weight. CrossFit has been amazing as far as shaping my body is concerned even after only three weeks. However, I am not dropping any weight. I am 35 6-2 255. Lineman build and a little thick.

My diet consists of about 50% carbs 50% protien with very little sugars. Can't figure out why I'm not dropping weight. I'm working my butt off! Wanting to get down to about 220-230lbs.

If anyone has any insight or suggestions - it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers, Diesel_Sled
I can relate - at 6'1" I started 2007 at about 270, did some strict CF'ing at about 260, and am down to 240 now, with the goal weight of around 220-230. The workout isn't going to make you magically lose weight - you need to reduce your caloric intake. I noticed slowly improved body composition while CF'ing (noticeable upper back strength increase, shoulder mass, but reduced leg mass, etc), but the scale didn't change until I made a major diet change.

I tried zoning and it was "OK." Very slow progress, but good, healthy food. I will go back to zoning when I am "maintaining." I'm doing a lower carb approach now and am happier with the results. You'll need to experiment with what works best for you, your lifestyle, and all that - but the bottom line is taking in fewer calories than you're burning, if you want to "lose weight." No matter what, remember FAT IS GOOD.

Also, be careful and make sure you keep your muscle mass, or you won't be happy when you reach whatever scale goal you have in mind. As a big guy (and by "lineman build" I assume you're already strong as well) doing strict CF (main site WODs), I think you *will* need to add at least some heavy squats (3-5x5) and deadlifts (1x5) every week. Heavy DB bench as well if you care about that sort of thing.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
Jeremy Crone

Profile:

Thanks Gents. Right now I am 253 and will post progress in 2 weeks.

Long Live CF!

Old 10-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Luke Hitt

Profile:

If you're supposed to eat 40-50% fat, where are you getting all of that fat from?
Old 10-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
Patrick Poblocki

Profile:

Like Italian?

Sub pasta for spagetti squash!