CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
John Burket

Profile:
Has anyone had any experience exercising in an oxygen-enhanced environment, such as being in the vicinity of an oxygen tank whose valve has been opened? I read somewhere that ozone, O3, a cousin of oxygen, can enhance physical performance by as much as 12%, when injected intravenously. I would like to experiment with breathing ozone THROUGH OLIVE OIL FOR SAFETY while exercising. Separately, I would also like to try exercising while breathing oxygen from an oxygen tank. I've heard that pilots breathe 100% oxygen, so I know it is safe. Perhaps the effectiveness of workouts can be improved this way.

http://sookagym.tripod.com
Old 01-08-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Dennis Yiatras

Profile:

John I always wondered about that. Especially when I began crossfit and just the breathing was a workout alone. But my recovery has grown leaps and bounds since the beginning. Ah a tank you could wheel around right after tabata squats..
Old 01-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
James Falkner

Profile:
"I read somewhere that ozone, O3, a cousin of oxygen, can enhance physical performance by as much as 12%, when injected intravenously."

I thought when you injected a gas into your bloodstream you stood a good chance of death? Isn't that also known as an embolism?

Also, I remember from college that ozone is actually extremely poisonous for us, more so than breathing straight carbon monoxide. Makes you wonder about those 'ozone-enriched' shampoos and the ozonator on your momma's pool!}
Old 01-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:
Yeah, ozone is toxic to the human body so I don't quite know why you want to breath it. When it reacts with your body it breaks down and creates a bunch of free radical oxygens which reacts with basically anything destroying DNA, proteins, etc.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Tom Brose

Profile:
Seriously, I dont mean to be rude, but if your looking to increase the effectiveness of workouts, I think some other things are in order. The isometrics only thing VS Fran, see which produces results.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Here is an article

Didn't read it fully but seems like a non to bad idea.

Kinda agree with Tom. I don't think ozone is going to give you the edge. There are lot more time-tested methods of performance enhancement. I'm pretty sure cavemen didn't have ozone and EVOO.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
Roger Smith

Profile:
This reminds me of this old guy I see once in awhile. He gets off the bus carrying a 02 tanks, walks to a bike, puts the take into a basket on the bike and rides off. I was stunned the first time I saw it. An obviously ill guy riding a bike, surrounded by fat people that complain about walking around the block...

Extra 02 would increase your performance in aerobic and strengthaerobic activities. It would give you a higher percentage of o2 saturation. I'm not sure any of the added benifit would carry over when not using. A very popular, somewhat frowned upon, and somewhat dangerous method to give a simular outcome is to use EPO or hemopure, or the current product that can't be tested for. They work by increasing RBCs which gives more 02 carrying capacity, thus the same end result more 02. Unquestionable increase in performanc....
Old 01-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Ryan Molofy

Profile:  
Am I the only person who just about fell out of their chair when reading this?

The only thing that I have ever heard about ozone (O3) is that it is poisonous, and has an upper limit in industry (it's formed during welding and stuff like that).

The goal should to be able to increase your body's oxygen capacity -- not the concentration that you inhale -- since your body doesn't even process the amount that you inhale to begin with. I'm not even going to touch the fact that oxygen is detrimental in high concentrations.

Peronally, I would abandon these ideas and just try and increase your performance through hard work, because there's a large chance you're going to either get poisoned or blown up by trying these things.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
I'll chime in with the nay-sayers here--my understanding of exercise physiology is that, with the exception of hypoxic environs, the amount of O2 in the air we breathe isn't the limiting factor in performance. It has more to do with the amount of hemoglobin, which can be increased naturally and artificially. Artificially, EPO use can increase hemoglobin counts to the point where the blood turns to sludge and you die (see elite cycling). A natural approach would be to train in a hypoxic environment, which over a few weeks will have a similar, less drastic effect (hence, training at altitude).

Or, one can place stress on the body's oxygen carrying capacity, stimulating the production of more hemoglobin. I hear exercise works in that department.:happy:
Old 01-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #10
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I read somewhere that ozone, O3, a cousin of oxygen, can enhance physical performance by as much as 12%, when injected intravenously. I would like to experiment with breathing ozone THROUGH OLIVE OIL FOR SAFETY while exercising.

I think that on the internet, if you google hard enough, you can find ANYTHING. Injecting Ozone into your bloodstream sounds like the purest of lunacy. Ditto for breathing through olive oil. I could be wrong. I'm picturing a guy wearing a rebreather mask connected to an olive oil-filled bong which is then hooked to an ion air cleaner, all strapped to your back, while you are doing slam ball. Let us know how it goes if you try it, and take videos.