CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-10-2005, 05:39 AM   #1
Wade Walls

Profile:  
Any thoughts on a training schedule for one-arm pullups from those who can already do one or who have been training for one for a while? I can do one with help from the pinky of the other hand, but can't seem to progress past that. Actually I was able to do the One-arm plus a pinky pullup the first time I tried and haven't really made any progress in the last few months. It sucks being so close to a goal and not make headway.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:56 AM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-coaches/s...article015.htm

Words of wisdom from Coach Sommer. He was talking about 2 arm pullups, but I'm sure it would be helpful for the 1 arm variety as well.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
You'll need to start working on the stabilization on the one arm. If you can do one arm with pinky assist you likely have the strength, but your pinky is keeping you from twisting. That's one of the toughest things about it. Work one arm lockouts at various stages of the pull up. Work one arm lower downs trying to keep square.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
don't know if you have seen it but this is a pretty extensive article on dragon door:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/232/
Old 06-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

The following is a response on my experiences with one arm chin training that I posted the other day in response to a question from Coach Reeves. It covers a variety of training information as well as the article linked above.

"Essentially I have found that there are two ways to train for the one arm chin; using a counter weight system and static holds. I have no experience with the counter weight method, but here are my experiences with using top static holds.

I have used the static training method with very good results. Following I will share a former post where I shared the details of my one arm chin training. I was very surprised that a few (2-3) one arm static holds in the top position 3-4 times a week (usually M,T,Th,F) had such a dramatic effect on my weighted pullup PR as well as being able to maintain a decent base of high rep pullups. I did not however follow that training protocol to its logical conclusion of the unassisted one arm pullup. Not long after that post, I sustained a severe forearm injury that required the better part of a year to heal. The injury was not related to the static hold chin training, but from something else altogether. By the time the forearm healed, I had moved on to other training priorities. Perhaps the following information will prove helpful anyway.

"Scott Wells (from CrossFit in response to a question on increasing pullups)

Dead Hangs
I think it is real important to hang after each rep for a good second or two; even go for a set of reps with 5 second holds in between. I don't do these for all sets but just a couple times a week for a variation.

The true dead hang technique stretches your muscles, tendons, etc. plus it helps build your holding endurance, as in your grip/wrists/forearms."

"Scott,
You caught my attention with your earlier comment on training the "hang" portion of the pullup. I agree. In addition, I would submit that it is equally important to train the top position as a static hold as well.

Last year, I obtained a personal best in weighted chins (bodyweight plus 75lbs for 1 rep at 130lbs bodyweight) after being stuck at bodyweight plus 55lbs for a number of years. The improvement came after a couple months of daily training on 1 arm static top holds and performing 2-3 sets of 1-3 reps of assisted one arm pullups. During this period, I did no weighted chins or high rep pullups - just the program outlined above. In addition to the weighted chin PR, during the same time frame, I also performed an easy set of 19 pullups as a spur of the moment demo for some of my students.

I feel that these results were the result of focusing on the top static hold under an increased training load (i.e. the one arm hold). I did no training to increase my strength in the bottom hang position, although I wonder if working both together might have been even more beneficial...

Coach Sommer"

The following was in response to the question "Coach Sommer - How should I do lock-offs? I include it here as it gives some more details in regard to the protocol that I had used in my training.

"Ross,
Good question. Mine was not a true one arm lock-off, but a partial one arm lock-off as my non-working arm was providing some assistance.

The way that I trained my one arm chins was to position myself so that I had one hand on the bar and one hand on the side support post. As my strength increased, I simply moved my spotting arm further down the side support post.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer"

Finally, I include this post as it profiles someone else's success who had also used the top static hold method.

"From: afterworldsmen

(In reference to the static top hold method that I outlined above) I've been working on them with rings moving one ring lower once I reach my designated time and thereby increasing the load on my working arm. Today I went to the garage to do some and I felt like I flew up on the initial pull. When I got the the top I realized I wasn't even using my non-working arm and was actually able to do a one arm hold for almost 10 seconds. I thought I was at least weeks away from being able to do this - it was quite shocking..."

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

OlympicBodies@msn.com

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
Old 06-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #6
Wade Walls

Profile:  
Thanks Coach Sommer and all other responders! I have heard and read that it is better (safer) to train for OAPU's on rings. Is there any merit to this? Also, what is considered a good time for a static hold?

Old 06-10-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
Dan Silver

Profile:

I hit my first, ugly, OAPU's on the rings. I think it is safer because, when you are a spaz like me, you tend to drift quite a bit when hanging from one arm. The rings pivot for you but the bar forces your shoulder to do the duty. That hurts, as I discovered yesterday doing OAPU attempts on the straight bar.

-D.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #8
Keith Conrad

Profile:

Dan,
That is a good idea. With the rings you could build up your one arm strength and then start working on the stabilization factor. I definately need to get some rings.