CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Dan John did an excellent article for T-Nation, regarding his top 10 fitness tips. I thought it wold be great to hear from the CF forum what everyones top ten tips are. I'll start:

1. Do the WOD six times a week 3 on 1 off. Modify if necessary but once you start don't stop until completion. Many people stall, hem and haw, and wait until the right time to start Crossfit. The right time is right now! Stop asking questions and "just do it!" Consistancy is the key.
2. Don't even say the word suppliment, until you have everything else in line. Your diet not dialed in, don't even think suppliment. Your workouts not being done, don't say it.
3. You know what NOT to eat, don't eat it. Zone, paleo, Massive Eating, the South Beach Diet (fer god's sake) all work, if you stick to them. You really can't go wrong just eating fruits, vegatables, lean meats, nuts, and seed, and healthy fat.
4. Start a home gym NOW. Put away a few bucks here and there. First purchase, a good olympic bar, you could buy iron weights at a used sports place or a garage sale. Get the good bar. Then get a pullup bar, make a med ball, make p-bars, buy used DB's. Start now. Even if you go to a gym, they don't usually have some unique X-fit items.
5. Get the Crossfit Journal, read it, and re-read it. If you can't read, still get the Journal (I don't know how you got this far sounding out the words but good job! Now back to the reading members of the forum). I say this because the Journal helps to support this FREE website, contribute, buy the DVD, a T-shirt. Also read every issue of Get Up! Even if you don't like to throw heavy objects.
6. Drink a gallon of water a day.
7. Use every recovery method you can, The Stick, foam rollers, contrast showers, hot tub, massage, etc.
8. Sleep 8 hours a night, total darkness, turn down the light on the clock, get shades and blinds, nap when you can.
9. Take 8 - 10 GRAMS of fish oil a day (not a suppliment but a food product). Costco's Kirkland brand, or Carlson's seem to be the brand's of choice.
10. Have fun, play and train for sports or event's. Crossfit is GPP not sport specific preperation. You could do crossfit and sport training, as a matter of fact you should train for somthing.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Great thread.

Here are mine:

#1--Cut out refined products (sugar, white flour, trans fat)

#2--Do the WOD

#3--Eventually add in gymnastics, practicing the O-lifts, intervals

#4--Learn good technique! Invest in the CFJ, videos, read articles online. I gotta do a lot more of this myself.

#5--Don't waste time: If you can jog somewhere instead of walking, do so. If you're reading articles online, crush on some grippers at the same time, etc.

#6--Drink only water and green tea.

#7--Go play or workout outside and get some sunlight.

#8--Keep a log

#9--Always keep learning more.

#10--Be happy and help others. The people who live longest are very happy people.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
1. Learn the value of hard work and a good attitude
2. Drink a gallon of water a day
3. Lift heavy stuff
4. A bunch of times
5. Including yourself
6. Follow the CF dietary recommendations
7. Take up a sport (Gymnastics especially! :wink:)
8. Engage in SOME physical activity daily
9. Read a lot
10. Thank God for your physical talents and abilities. :proud:
Old 01-01-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Wow, not much I could add to these lists, very impressive.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
Nic Nakis

Profile:
1) Master the pullup
2) Learn to run
3) Drink only water and all-natural homemade smoothies!
4) Play with toys--they make fitness more fun
5) Workout everywhere and improvise like a madman
6) Stay away from drugs, cigarettes, medications, supplements, and chemical additives in food
7) Eat a hot protein breakfast
8) Snack constantly
9) Pay attention to your posture
10) Take the stairs
Old 01-03-2005, 08:35 AM   #6
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Nic, nice #9. Very true, I hadn't thought of including that. Been working on that myself lately, and it's been paying off.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
Ron Nelson

Profile:
OK, I'll take a shot. In no particular order:

1. Adopt a GPP program. I chose CrossFit, YMMV.
2. Tweak the diet. Go paleo, Zone, Atkins, or metabolism based. Just balance your intake of carbs, fats, and proteins to maximize results.
3. Eliminate the word "soda" from your diet. Water good; soda bad. Ask your dentist!
4. Learn to push through "pain." Most people give up at the first sign of discomfort and call it "pain." Injury pain and discomfort are 2 different beasts; learn the difference!
5. Don't whine when you fail to see results in the first week. How long did it take to get where you are now? It takes twice as long to get where you want to be. Shortcuts are not found in a bottle; they're found dripping off the end of your nose at the end of Fight Gone Bad!
6. Post results, goals, successes, and failures. Nothing has helped me more than putting it in writing! Share your fame and wisdom with the world!
7. Learn by teaching; teach by learning. I have retained more knowledge about my health simply by repeating what I have learned to others as they ask the same questions I asked 6 months ago. God bless this forum!
8. Read whatever Dan John, Mike Burgener, Coach, Rutman, and a host of others I can't remember off the top of my head, have written here. They are insightful, helpful, funny (see Dan John's description of reverse Batman skull crusher tricep extentions!), and most of all, right!
9. Heed the advice of fellow posters who share similar life experiences! Larry, Beth, and I always seem to post around the same time when asked about diet, fat loss, or other such subject matter. Even if I'm wrong (gasp) Larry and Beth are pretty good; damn good!
10. Whatever you do for yourself each day, do more. Read, run, walk, play with your kids, mentor, laugh, bowl, have a beer, relax. Doesn't matter if you are sharing yourself or you're all alone; do it for you because you're the only one watching who matters!
OK, off to the gym with junior!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #8
Kawika Harbottle

Profile:
Wow...I guess the top 10 lists have caught the bug here as well. Can't add anything either. Taht must mean we all are on some sort of the "right track".
Old 01-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #9
Troy Archie

Profile:
Can someone post the link to that article by Dan John?
Old 01-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #10
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Larry:

8-10 grams of fish oil! I've sort of been of the mind that all supplementation should come from real food. What is the benefit and can you not get that much fish oil from eating fish itself or would you have to eat several pounds of salmon to get the levels you are talking about?