CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-19-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
Shaad

Profile:  
Hi everyone,

I am a pro MMA fighter.. I am directing this question to anyone that has had to balance Xfit with their skill training for sport. In my sport at my level (not the highest nor the lowest) there is no real off season. We normally have 4 weeks notice on fights.

Does anyone have any tips on doing crossfit for s&c while doing inseason workouts and not burning out? Ideally you dont want your s&c stuff to conflict and negatively impact your sparring or skill training. Where do we find the balance? Is it simply a matter of good calories? Listening to the body? I know that in the final 2-3 weeks, skill and sparring definitely takes precedence.

**I will add that I am definitely not a newbie to training or competing, but that I am still looking for tips on doing both. Last time I tried I ran myself into the ground.

C
Old 07-19-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
Jason Horton

Profile:

are you shad smith? i was just guessing by your screen name.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:18 PM   #3
Shaad

Profile:  
Nope, but I'd like to fight Crazy Horse one day... Shaady is my real first name (hence my nick), most just call me Chad.

C
Old 07-20-2004, 07:34 AM   #4
Jason Horton

Profile:

cool. keep me posted on your fights!
Old 07-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #5
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
I'm currently training for amateur boxing but won't begin actual sparring and competition until this Fall.

I find that balancing Crossfit and boxing all comes down to priorities.In light of what will be required of me for when I get into the ring, mine right now are to increase my anaerobic-endurance and recovery times.As such, I give my roadwork first priority.I get up early in the morning and do my roadwork(usually intervals or sprints with minimal rest periods) followed by several rounds of shadow boxing in front of a mirror to work on technique.These workouts usually last between 30-45 minutes, in which time I have taken care of my sport-specific conditioning and some skills work.

In the evenings, I will follow the Crossfit workout most days but will tweak it where necessary.If there is any running/rowing involved, I will either not do it or I will substitute some more sport-specific work(shadow boxing, bag work, rope skipping etc.) using roughly the same time as prescribed for the run/row.If it's weights, I will try to break the reps up so I'm doing no more than 5-6 per set, minimal rest intervals, and fast-explosive speeds.If it is calisthenics, I generally will do them as prescribed as the high-rep, high volume is what I need for muscular endurance.

This approach has been working out well for me, but the two-a-days are definitely a challenge.In regards to actual recovery, I stick with the 3 on/1 off frequency that crossfit follows.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
Shaad

Profile:  
Hey Matt, thanks... thats pretty much what ive been doing, and I two-a-days during the 4-6 weeks of peaking for a fight if i get some good notice. Sparring takes prescedence for me obviously.

C
Old 07-20-2004, 12:00 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I am an amateur Shootfighter (one of the original MMA from Japan), but I have only been doing Xfit for a couple of weeks so I am not sure how I plan to change my schedule before my next fight.

Right now I just do it instead of the push ups, squats, and sit ups I was doing.

It does make it hard when I spar, but having certain muscle groups tired/sore makes me learn to work around the weakness. It also makes me work realy good technique (because I can't rely on strength).