CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
Chuck Penzenik

Profile:
kipping in real world setting...

can anyone tell me what they have kipped on to get themselves pulled up onto something. the only things i can think of is a tree branch and fire escape.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Ian Carver

Profile:
Re: kipping in real world setting...

Fences and walls come to mind. I am a K9 handler in a lage metro sheriff's dept in Calif. When we are searching all out and the dog is in odor, or the dog is sent on a direct apprehension of a fleeing felony suspect, nothing is going to stand in the way of catching a dangerous guy running away into a residential or commercial area in the middle of the night, further increasing safety risks to the public and other cops. Hence, the dogs go over anything when it is "go time" and we handlers have to follow.

I suppose a true kip is not what I am doing when getting over tall obstacles, more like a jumping pull up with some body english thrown in to create lift, but the fact is the body motion is never really strict like a true pull up due to the variance in obstacles. Some attic insertions can require similar motions to get in or out of them.

While the kip may seem like a movement that some people would eschew, wondering when they would use it, learning it at least gives a person the ability to use that kip body motion from their "tool box" to surmount an obstacle if needed.

Within a whole deployment, I may re-create similar movements such as pull ups, clean n' jerks (hoisting dogs up), running (obvious), OH Waiter walks/presses (hi insertion or extraction position w/dog at end of arm), sled drags (pulling dog up buildings in rappel harness), weighted lunges or walks (dog on back for transport to location), and I am sure the list goes on if really think about it. Proof yet again that CF is truly "functional fitness".
Old 10-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
James Falkner

Profile:

There was an article by a LEO on here about kipping his butt up through an attic door to get the jump on a perp that was hiding up there. I guess he was able to grab opposite sides of the hole, get a good kip, and get up on his feet with weapon drawn before the perp could do anything. His cop partners were commenting later on how smooth that move was.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
Frank C Ollis

Profile:

Chuck: Some examples from Iraq

Fences
Walls (Every house has a Frikkin wall)
Roof Tops
Windows
Truck bodys
ISO containers
Broken Stairs
watch tower
interior wall art (Saddam's Palace)
Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Brent Lucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank C Ollis View Post
ISO containers

They are a real b*tch when wet or dusty (or both)
Old 10-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Frank, the question makes sense though. In most of those cases, there's no "space" under the surface you're pulling to, which would make a forward kip impossible. If you're doing a dynamic motion, it's something more like a jumping pullup/muscleup.

To do a classic kip, you need a gap to swing through, which pretty much means you're not doing it on most types of walls.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
Chuck Penzenik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Frank, the question makes sense though. In most of those cases, there's no "space" under the surface you're pulling to, which would make a forward kip impossible. If you're doing a dynamic motion, it's something more like a jumping pullup/muscleup.

To do a classic kip, you need a gap to swing through, which pretty much means you're not doing it on most types of walls.
that is exactly what i was thinking. i was wondering how often emergency responders and military had an opportunity to actually do a kipping pullup.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #8
Frank C Ollis

Profile:

Brandon & Chuck,
As Brent will probably second, the answer is yes and no. Sometimes we do a pull and kick a leg up to mount, but sometimes we actually do a kip. You push away with your feet, pull the knees up, make contact with your knees, then do a combination pull and worm up to a chicken wing, then pull through. Your knees give you traction to translate the energy.You should try it sometime, remember, the goal of a kip is to transfer horizontal movement into vertical movement. Simple as that.

Of course, sometimes if you are getting shot at, you don't even remember touching the wall. I think I lazy vaulted a 5 1/2' wall in Iraq, although I don't remember how I did it.

Last edited by Frank C Ollis : 10-04-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:59 AM   #9
Adrian Frankling

Profile:

larry lindeman was the one who gave the example of kipping in to a roof cavity. from recollection he was doing a door with his work mates and they didn't have a ladder. he muscleupped in to the roof cavity so quickly the crook didn't have time to react.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
Michael A. Krivka

Profile:

Larry is a strong guy... I'm surprised he just didn't pull the roof down to him! :P

BTW - Sneak and Peek requires more of a "strict" pullup technique, but when you are in full pursuit you want to explode over any obstacle. The kip preps your body for the explosion like nothing else...