CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Lisa Quinn

Profile:
Smile recent certification attendees

Anyone recently attend a CF cert willing to pass advice? Looking back, what would you recommend to someone going to a CF Cert to do to prepare for it, any tips, advice, recommendations?
I'm goint to a cert the 2nd week of Sept.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:45 AM   #2
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Re: recent certification attendees

Lisa,

Bring good comfortable clothes to work out in, flat stable shoes if you have them (chuck T's, adidos soccer shoes etc for the lifts) <-- Not required, but recommended. Bring something to take copious notes with and on, and above all, bring an open mind, cause it will be swimming with info by the time you get done. Run around and talk to EVERYONE about ANY question you have had, or arises during the cert. Think of questions you would like to ask when you have breakouts, and have time to ask them. Diet, exercise, form, funtion, scaling, anything. Everyone I encountered at my cert was extremely knowledgable, and very willing to help out in any way. Those are the best recommendations I can give. And dont be afraid to volunteer for something! Have a good cert. Hope you enjoy Quantico.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Adam Head

Profile:

Lisa,
I'm bringing a digital recorder I used in my lecture classes in school. Nothing fancy, but it's amazing what you won't remember or even hear when your scribbling down notes.

Adam
Old 08-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
Lisa Quinn

Profile:

Thanks Chris and Adam~
Great tips! I plan on getting there early and leaving late
See you there Adam~
Been reading CF journals prepping my mind for a great workout~
Lisa
Old 08-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:

You will have a great time! Take notes or bring a recorder, as suggested. Read as much as you can before you go. Make sure to rest up a few days before the cert, too -- you will have a workout each day (the workouts vary a little bit depending on location, so wear clothes and shoes that can handle anything), as well as a lot of technique practice. So you will definitely be very active! They do a great job of alternating between lecture and physical activity, though, so you don't get too much of either one at once.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 AM   #6
Lisa Quinn

Profile:

Thanks Becca~
I am looking forward to this
Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 AM   #7
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Lisa --the certs are the best! The whole crew is amazing --whoever is there. Its sorta like a community of friends all striving towards the same goal. When and where do we have that in life.
Be comfortable and open minded like the others have said. Write or record everything and if u need help with anything you have access then to the best. ENJOY and do relate your experiences when you're done.
I am off to San Diego this weekend myself as a level 2 at the cert. I am so excited.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Lisa Quinn

Profile:

Have a blast Sarena in San Diego~ I will look forward to hearing from you the difference in level 1 & 2 cert. I'm taking level 1. Do you use a digital recorder? If so, any particular brand?
Lisa
Old 08-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarena Kopciel View Post
Lisa --the certs are the best! The whole crew is amazing --whoever is there. Its sorta like a community of friends all striving towards the same goal. When and where do we have that in life.
Be comfortable and open minded like the others have said. Write or record everything and if u need help with anything you have access then to the best. ENJOY and do relate your experiences when you're done.
I am off to San Diego this weekend myself as a level 2 at the cert. I am so excited.

Sarena;

Do it to it.

Jay
Old 08-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #10
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Lisa - also bring some snacks and something to drink. While there is almost always time to run out and get food, sometimes you may want to stick around and practice something on your own or talk to a trainer who's hanging around. So, just in case, I would bring some hydration and maybe a Zone bar or two (or a couple of 3-4 block meals in a cooler) but it's up to you. It's going to be sweltering in Quantico this time of year - trust me. I used to live there and have been through there multiple times as a Marine officer (OCS, TBS, etc...) Otherwise, same as what everyone else said - enjoy yourself and relax - it's not the Bar exam. Coach and the trainers will bring the knowledge, you just need to being you.