CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Elsewhere on the forum there is discussion regarding sandbag construction. Working out this AM and considering them as an addition to my exercises it set my mind to the functionality of these items. One function is glaringly obvious, picking/hoisting a body during rescue would be a primary benefit from using bags. Another that is interesting to me is using them to develop the sort of strength often seen in MMA wherein you see a man picked up bodily about the waist and slammed to the mat. Hard to argue with that sort of strength. Using a progressively loaded bag over time would seem to be a great way to produce that sort of upper body strength by simply hoisting one of 'em around in various ways. Of course others here probably have already done this sort of thing. I was just wondering if any would care to comment on the result?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Ben Fanjoy

Profile:  
Yeah man, definetely do it! I don't have sandbags but I have a 60 pound punching bag (I weigh 110) that I practice takedowns (for wrestling) and I lift it in various ways like flinging it over my shoulder and doing full squats or huggging it on my knees and then stepping up in like a lunge type squat position.
I'm sure sandbags work just as well. It was a great lifting method that worked my legs tremdously. And then whenever I got a guy in a lifting and finsihing position I would have noooooooo problem lifting them high in the air and then bringing them down.....too bad I don't have any heavier punching bags to throw around.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
Nathan Stanley

Profile:
I found over a couple of months my grip strength really improved. I'm looking to make some Josh Henkin type bags from scratch. I'm making them for my wrestling team. I just can't afford to buy enough kettlebells or sandbags for what I need.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:37 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to CrossPit.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:48 AM   #5
Gary Turner

Profile:
Hi guys!

Just a quick one, the use of sand bags is obviously a very good way of increasing your strength in all the best Crossfit ideals...

However, there is so much more than strength required in picking up and slamming a fella, you need to make sure that the technique is perfect. To perform a slam like that you need to use your body properly, and then you won't require superhuman strength...just the correct application of what you have.

Great exercise tool though!!! And it won't hurt in slamming!!!

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
Old 07-22-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I'm thinking that the sandbag, properly assembled in way to mimic handling a body, would give you a big tactical advantage. Can't you just see this being done in a non-CF gym?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
Gary Turner

Profile:
I think it will give a great strategic advantage, although it has limitations. In MMA if you lift a body it will be in motion, in different states of tension or relaxations, fighting back, and this is where the all important technique comes in.

Lifting and slamming the sandbag is a common practice in some of the best MMA gyms in Europe, as it is a fantastic exercise to do repetitions of.

It also limits potential injuries by not using a real person for repetitive training of this nature. It hurts to get slammed!

The one limitation of sandbag for MMA is that it always remains as a 'relaxed, dead weight' rather than a tense version, with bone structure as well, that is easier to manouvre.

As picking anything up, correct technique is always important, more importantly so if you want to change from using the sandbags for fitness to converting to MMA application.

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
Old 07-22-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21357/27561.gif
Old 07-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
the coolness of that photo is spoiled by the dude's in the middle.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:15 AM   #10
Tom Brose

Profile:
"something about sandbag training, it just makes me so $&*%$@ ANGRY!"

Quoute from Adam L, as we started a session w/ 175Lb bag