CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:37 PM   #1
Tyler Hass

Profile:
This is a boring subject, but I was wondering if there are any other small business owners or self-employed people with experience to share. I just need a good basic plan and moving to Canada is not an option;-)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler
Old 12-15-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
Martin Schap

Profile:
When I didn't have insurance I was able to get a basic $2500 deductible plan from Unicare for $55 a month. You could do something like that and then look into what banks in your area offer in terms of health savings plans. You can often find a plan that lets you save $2000 or so. These are tax-exempt, and then you just use the money to pay for visits and prescriptions. If you have a major medical problem your out of pocket is just the difference between your savings plan and the deductible. Usually you can even just have a small amount transferred into the savings account each month. You won't even miss it.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Good advice form Martin. The most important thing to do is to make sure that you are covered for disasters, like a major accident, heart attack, cancer, etc. Find a high deductible plan, with a Health Savings Account if possible as Martin suggests, and find a way to pay the premium. A car accident with broken bones will run 6 figures, enough to bankrupt pretty much all of us. Even if you have a $10,000 deductible you could eventually get yourself out of a $10K hole. Not too may of us can climb out of a $100K hole...I couldn't.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Try looking on websites like:
http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

The higher the deductible, the cheaper the rate. Like said above...be covered for the big things. Plus if you get a PPO or HMO and stay within the network, then you will get discounted rates.

For example...I got a hockey stick in the eye, had to get 15 stitches and a basic Cat-scan after walking into the ER (after a few beers after the game first). Then that one simple visit gave me a bill of $4500.....YIKES....because they were in my PPO network I got it down to $2500 which came out of my pocket.

You could also look into MSAs, those are recommended for small business owners as well.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:24 AM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:
Tyler-as a Washington resident, you can apply for 'WA Basic Health'.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com

We do not stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will definitely look into that.
With Zone and CrossFit, I hope I never need it.

Tyler
Old 12-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Zone and Crossfit can't stop a truck running a red light and totalling your Jeep you had since college. Trust me I know.

(Message edited by mike_od on December 16, 2006)
Old 12-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Mike,
Were you on the Zone diet at that time? Or CrossFit?
Old 12-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #9
Adam Noble

Profile:
I started out with an HMO at 150 a month 5 years ago, after digging myself out of a no insurance emergency appendectomy hole. Good thing too, as I got cancer 3 years later (glad I had insurance, as the whole cancer debacle only cost about 2500 when all is said and done). That said, in the last 5 years my monthly insurance has more than doubled (and having had cancer I don't really have the option of shopping around for a better deal, as no one will take me). I am a small business owner and did some looking at options, but most of them did not work (all my employees are part time), or were just weren't feasible. Any advice in this area is greatly appreciated.
Back to the beginning though, get some kind of emergency coverage; one emergency appendectomy (the oil change of surgery), less than 24 hrs. in the hospital= $28,000. No Joke, I thought it was a typo when I got the bill.