CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Looks like the quote thread fell off the back of the conveyor belt, which seems to be moving at a much greater rate of speed these days. Well, I did actually write down the dialog towards the end of The Two Towers, second movie in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. All you need to know, if you haven't seen it, is Frodo has a great and difficult responsibility, and Sam is his friend.

Frodo: I can’t do this Sam.

Sam: I know, it’s all wrong.. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo., the ones that really matter. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow: even darkness must pass, and a new day will come, and when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folks in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?

Sam: That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
In the middle of the bike to run transition of the 79 Ironman Triathlon. ATV reporter asks the leader "How do you feel?" Tom Warren the leader answered with "I don't feel like dancing."
Old 02-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
" I became the Jim Jones of the exercise movement. Invite some friends to a warm tropical place to kill themselves." Commander John Collins the founder of the Ironman Triathlon sometime in the 80's.

"I could never associate racing with pain," said Tom Warren " It's like going to school. You have to take exams to find where you stand."
Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Pablo Mercado

Profile:

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is
always two hundred pounds."

Henry Rollins
Old 02-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
" Everyone fights. No one quits, If you do I'll kill you myself" Rychak of Rychak's Roughnecks in Starship Troopers.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:52 AM   #6
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:
"this life is for the sons of strength"

I forget who it came from but it was in a book i found on a friends bookshelf - written in about 1915 I think - looked like it was the original book too :-)
Old 02-23-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:
My grandfather always used to say "It's a great life if you don't weaken." I've always liked that. He had the stamina of a goat, and he essentially died of boredom, in my view, at 94.